Amp Incoming... did I make a mistake?

metropolis_4

Shredder
It turns out a physical amp is going to be required for some gigs in the next 6 months so I took the plunge and purchased one yesterday. I'm already having second thoughts and buyers remorse and it hasn't even shipped yet.

The amp I decided on is a Divided By 13 JRT 9/15.

I was all set to get either a Dr Z Z28 MkII or a Bad Cat, but I started to worry about the EF86 tubes in them being a hassle and failure point. So at the last minute I went with the /13 instead. I've always wanted to try one IRL and I found a decent deal on one that seems like a good fit, but now I'm thinking it through and starting to worry about a couple things:

1. 5879 tubes.

I know they have a tendency to be more microphonic than 12ax7s and they are no longer made. I'm seriously hoping they don't become a failure point and difficult to source. But they've been used for a long time and they still seem to be readily available right now. Anyone have any experience using these?

2. Volume/Tone flexibility

I started thinking, the volumes on this amp are a big part of how you dial in the tone, but they also change the level, and there is no master volume. I'm worried that means it will be difficult to get the tone I want at the volume I want. I'm also worried the amp is going to fall into the "goldilocks" zone of being too loud for quiet gigs and too quiet for loud gigs.

Mostly I think I've just played every gig for the past 8 years with digital gear and I'm a little scared of changing to a tube amp. It's been a long time and I'm having confidence/trust issues with the idea. I keep picturing the thing falling apart in the middle of a show, squealing and hissing...

It'll sound great I am betting. I have always been interested in this type of amp. Never been something that fits in my wheelhouse but I know they sound great from the clips I have listened to.

I have been using the BL with the Stomp and running a direct feed to FOH that way. It's been awesome and I recommend it whole-heartedly.

With the clean and dirty volumes, can’t one get some dirt at manageable volumes?..
/13 typically has a reputation for being louder than the watts suggest, from what I read.

I love the amp model in the Helix.. hopefully it works great!

I’ve never played one or heard one IRL, but I’ve read great things about it. Now you get a chance to check it out first-hand! If you got a decent deal on it, shouldn’t be too hard to move if it doesn’t meet your needs.

giphy.gif

I came thiiis close to going with a 1987x
The way I just split out my board; I need another amp to go with it for backup purposes. I don't want solid state but my budget is fairly modest. One of those newer Blackstar combos might do the trick and be "cheap enough"?

I know. But I am at that point where the features and what I can do stacking dirt on what is there would work well I think. It would be for leaving at the practice spot.

Have you looked at quilter at all? I would never go SS myself but I saw a friends band recently and was really impressed with the guitar players tone using a quilter as a pedal platform

Have you looked at quilter at all? I would never go SS myself but I saw a friends band recently and was really impressed with the guitar players tone using a quilter as a pedal platform
I have the Quilter Tone Block 201. (Plug your ears :rofl ) but for a modeler; it's great. The weirdo eq section for me flat out sucks with pedals.

Actually; might be an excuse to get a SYN1 and a module and use the Quilter as a power amp :love

Last edited:
The way I just split out my board; I need another amp to go with it for backup purposes. I don't want solid state but my budget is fairly modest. One of those newer Blackstar combos might do the trick and be "cheap enough"?

I think that would work. Those new Blackstar St James combos sound better to me than anything Blackstar I've played before. They're respectable amps, and nice and light weight for a backup.

@Desertdweller just did something pretty slick with his BL and some plasticoat. Maybe if he’s nice he’ll post some pics.

Reactions: JT
Back