Amazing value.

Funny you mentioned Epiphone, because I'm holding one right now. It has a transparent finish, completely the whole back and neck. Finish is paper thin, you can clearly see it and confirm with every screw I've taken out :)
That guitar came absolutely perfect, even the frets are leveled so good I can take it lower than my comfortable playing action. To my complete surprise, it stays in tune, guess that Graphtech nut is doing its job. The news of "inspired by Gibson" series being on a new level were not exaggerated.
It doesn't have Duncan pickups. It doesn't have graphite reinforced neck. Electronics on it are probably 15€, instead of 20€ on the Charvel.
A 650€ guitar that plays out of the box vs. 1000€ which you have to take to a luthier to make it work. I guess we have a different view on "value".

Oh, I forgot, it's and Epiphone, and we've learned about the stigma which is not a small thing to some people.
Oh, and also, Epiphone doesn't have "proper" toanwoods, the "wrong" species and all...

Which Epiphone were you holding?

I currently have two newer ones (Slash and Cantrell LPs) and they are near flawless. I am seriously considering a 335 next.

It’s always interesting to see how preferences and opinions vary on instruments.

I’m just a nobody, but I’ve owned 2 PRS SE guitars over the years - an early run Santana SE and a 24-7 custom, both Korean. Both are fantastic guitars.

There are some general criticisms I agree with. Every PRS (SE or otherwise) I’ve picked up has had abysmal pickups. I mean absolutely terrible for anything I ever play.

The necks, however, fit my hand and playing preferences like a glove. Both mine have a somewhat chunky profile that fills the hand perfectly without getting in the way. Additionally, both have had beautifully rolled fretboard edges and great fretwork both in terms of being level but also having great ends. The Korean SE necks are pretty close to Goldilocks territory for me.

My issue with PRS has always been the terrible taste in pickups (either theirs or mine lol), the awful headstock shape, and the tacky ornateness of their finishes and inlays that makes them look like they should only be sold in costume jewelry stores in Florida.
My complaint about the neck profile is that it is completely different to the USA version it is supposed to be the budget version of not that it is in anyway terrible. The fretwork is also a different size and this adds to the utterly different feel. Post some pictures.

My complaint about the neck profile is that it is completely different to the USA version it is supposed to be the budget version of not that it is in anyway terrible. The fretwork is also a different size and this adds to the utterly different feel. Post some pictures.
I’m not refuting anything you are claiming. I haven’t loved the USA PRS guitars that I’ve played, so I’m not evaluating the SE models in terms of how closely they parity the USA models, but more or less as their own thing or perhaps against their peers in the marketplace.

My Santana SE - this one lives with a former band mate right now so I can’t get more detailed photos. It also is in pretty bad need of a fret dress at the moment - it’s seen some love over the years.

IMG_1082.jpeg

This is my SE Custom 24-7
IMG_1680.jpeg

Last edited:
Is your Epiphone Indonesian?
No, made in China. As far as I know all Epiphones are made in China for over a decade, ever since they bought the factory which makes nothing but Epiphone. Maybe there was some special run from Indonesia, but not regular manufacturing.

Post some pictures or your "Perfect" Epiphone particularly under the control plate and the huge gap around the truss rod under the cover.
Ask and you shall receive (don't ask for more, I already closed everything up). Literally enough to cram a hex key in there and turn it a quarter turn. "Huge" gap indeed LOL!

NECK.jpg

BODY.jpg

Oh and don't forget to add $250 for some pickups that don't suck
LOL, they suck because they're not brand name, I presume.
For any passersby, no, Epiphone Probuckers don't suck. They are very good pickups which fall well into personal taste "like it or not" category.
I like them better than USA made DiMarzio in my other guitar. Or maybe I like the toanwoods on Epiphone better :O
Note the locking Gotoh tuners, like the ones you plan to put on the Charvel :D

I currently have two newer ones (Slash and Cantrell LPs) and they are near flawless. I am seriously considering a 335 next.
Les Paul Modern. Yup, near flawless is the best description.
I did have to polish the frets to get them really smooth, forgot to mention that in previous post.

I have a “Gibson inspired” 335 and can recommend it. I picked it up last year as a low risk way to field test whether I might enjoy a 335 for the stuff I do. I figured I didn’t have much to lose for $450.

The guitar is outstanding. I gave the frets a polish, lowered the nut height, dropped the bridge height a bit and it’s very hard to find fault with it.

If I HAD to find faults - it’s pretty heavy, like on par with some of my Les Pauls.

I’d have no reservations about checking one out. I’d recommend trying to get your hands on a couple if you can. I have no idea how consistent they are.

IMG_0309.jpeg

IMG_0311.jpeg

I have a “Gibson inspired” 335 and can recommend it. I picked it up last year as a low risk way to field test whether I might enjoy a 335 for the stuff I do. I figured I didn’t have much to lose for $450.

The guitar is outstanding. I gave the frets a polish, lowered the nut height, dropped the bridge height a bit and it’s very hard to find fault with it.

If I HAD to find faults - it’s pretty heavy, like on par with some of my Les Pauls.

I’d have no reservations about checking one out. I’d recommend trying to get your hands on a couple if you can. I have no idea how consistent they are.

View attachment 8562

LOL!

I’ve already checked out a few. When they (and the other IBGs) originally were released, the fretwork across the board was inconsistent at best, but they have seemed to get that sorted since then.

AMS has a “call in for special price” deal on their special colors (iced tea burst/OD green), so I may just blow in a call; however, my local GC has a cherry finished up on the wall - I would rather get these in my hand than play the warehouse risk/reward game when buying.

View attachment 8562

View attachment 8563
That nut is crooked.
The guitar nut looks fine though.:rofl

LOL!

I’ve already checked out a few. When they (and the other IBGs) originally were released, the fretwork across the board was inconsistent at best, but they have seemed to get that sorted since then.

AMS has a “call in for special price” deal on their special colors (iced tea burst/OD green), so I may just blow in a call; however, my local GC has a cherry finished up on the wall - I would rather get these in my hand than play the warehouse risk/reward game when buying.
Oh man I think you are talking about the Olive Drab Green model. I’m a sucker for that color and would have held out for it if it existed back when I bought.

That nut is crooked.
The guitar nut looks fine though.:rofl
Haha. I couldn’t resist adding that silly image. My drummer threw that together as a joke back when I sent him a pic of the guitar.

No, made in China. As far as I know all Epiphones are made in China for over a decade, ever since they bought the factory which makes nothing but Epiphone. Maybe there was some special run from Indonesia, but not regular manufacturing.

Ask and you shall receive (don't ask for more, I already closed everything up). Literally enough to cram a hex key in there and turn it a quarter turn. "Huge" gap indeed LOL!

View attachment 8560

View attachment 8561

For any passersby, no, Epiphone Probuckers don't suck. They are very good pickups which fall well into personal taste "like it or not" category.
I like them better than USA made DiMarzio in my other guitar. Or maybe I like the toanwoods on Epiphone better :O

I did have to polish the frets to get them really smooth, forgot to mention that in previous post.
Epiphone pro buckers do suck but that is personal taste. That looks better than I usually see I agree.

I didn’t like the Korean versions because the neck shapes were different from the USA ones and not in a good way. The frets were also overly beveled taking away from the playing width. The Indonesian models fixed these issues and are far better imo. I still don’t like the pickups much but I am not a fan of most of the USA PRS pickups either. The hardware is pretty good for budget but noticeably worse than the USA version. The wood is good quality but not really mahogany. On balance they are good quality and feel a lot like the real thing these days. The price has gone up a lot since the beginning but that’s how they have managed to do versions of their core line. I personally don’t like the SE top contouring compared but I understand why it is like that. If they made them look exactly like the core line it would take sales from their own products.
Overall a solid buy but I would still try to find a second hand core model if you can afford it.
I have an Indonesian PRS SE from 2015 or so. My only guitar.
The neck shapes are different, thinner than the core line, probably focusing on the target market.
I agree with your assessment here.
I’ve never played a core or S2 but I’ve read the frets are a little different.

The pickups are the only culprit I’d say. HFS/VB combo in mine. The neck is mud city.
But the newer pickups 85/15s are much better.

And, the wood is different than the typical mahogany.
I sanded the neck a little and it’s not very red/orange like mahogany.

A great guitar though.

View attachment 8560

View attachment 8561

aren't they Grovers not Gotoh. There's quite a difference in quality and Grover make some OEM versions in China.

Yeah, they may have based them on Burstbuckers, but they definitely don’t sound the same as Burstbuckers to me.

90s Korean epiphone humbuckers were the worst. I'm not a big fan of the pro buckers but man it could be a lot lot worse. Shudder

They were so bad they turned me off Les Pauls for a long time! Back then I couldn’t afford a Gibson and the only LPs I’d been able to play were Epiphone. So I thought LPs were dark muddy sounding guitars with no definition.

I couldn’t understand why anyone liked them

Back