Alternate Tuning

I listen to lots of bands that use D standard/drop C too. I bought a whole second guitar just to be in that tuning because I was tired of tuning back and forth between that and standard tuning.

This is half the reason I have so many guitars, only my Strats and JEM are in standard, everything else is down.

Drop B on my SZ
D-Standard/Drop-C on the Edwards, Solar and Orville, occasionally drop the C down to A.
B-standard or drop A on the 7-string

I pretty much only play standard but for playing songs recorded in other tunings. I never chose to play in anything but standard.

I like my Strat and Tele in Eb. Several guitars in drop D (my goo to tuning) and
then ones in drop C and drop C#. Also have a Baritone that stays in B-E-A-D-G-B.
That guitar can to drop A in a nanosecond, too.

Many tunings = many tones. :chef

I like my Strat and Tele in Eb. Several guitars in drop D (my goo to tuning) and
then ones in drop C and drop C#. Also have a Baritone that stays in B-E-A-D-G-B.
That guitar can to drop A in a nanosecond, too.

Many tunings = many tones. :chef
The thing with drop D (or wtever the root down a full step you choose to do) tuning is there are guitarists out there who WILL NOT work in that tuning. Like it's "cheating" or god forbid they have to adjust their scale position on the top string. It's always been a weird hill to die upon in my eyes as it just makes riffing that much simpler with a little bit more "exotic" possibilities imo. You can do some cool stuff with things that would be a "I wish I had Paul Gilbert fingers" nightmare otherwise :cry:

Snl Thats Crazy GIF by Saturday Night Live

I live in Drop. I don't even tune up for anything in Standard. :idk

There are some things (like pedal tones on an Open E) that are impossible
to do in Drop.... but everything else is doable. Mostly.

Signed,
Hackiest of Hacks! :rofl

I LOVE drop D tuning. All my weekly challenge riffs are in that tuning. All 4 of them :ROFLMAO: I was in C# standard forever and I liked it for a long time but stopped having bands where it made sense. I pedal tone all the time in drop D. Unless I am thinking of a different technique?

I once did a small tour with a singer-songwriter where I had to bring 7 electric guitars just to handle all of the crazy tunings he used.

I used to get into alt tunings a lot more, but I don’t use them as much anymore. DADGAD is still fun though

D standard / drop C can sound great and I have one of my guitars setup specifically for that tuning. I do find that I need to low cut the signal before the amp in order to prevent the bass frequencies from flubbing out though.

I usually play in standard tuning, and occasionally in drop D. Recently, since acquiring my JVM & KK50, I have been playing more & more in drop C. It does feel like I'm cheating but it's so much fun.

The thing with drop D (or wtever the root down a full step you choose to do) tuning is there are guitarists out there who WILL NOT work in that tuning. Like it's "cheating" or god forbid they have to adjust their scale position on the top string. It's always been a weird hill to die upon in my eyes as it just makes riffing that much simpler with a little bit more "exotic" possibilities imo. You can do some cool stuff with things that would be a "I wish I had Paul Gilbert fingers" nightmare otherwise :cry:

It’s been a long time since I’ve come across one in the wild, but yeah, I know the type. They’re all over TGP. “You just have to use one finger”, yeah dumbass, for that one power chord, as if playing powerchords with 2-3 fingers instead of one is the measure of a fucking guitar player. :rofl

My uncle said it a bunch in the 90’s when I started playing and was getting into Chains. That’s when I learned that if I wait about 2 weeks, my uncle would say the complete opposite thing as if he never spoke of it before. One week Cantrell was just another grunge guy who couldn’t play, 2 weeks later he was the only guy from Seattle actually playing guitar. :ROFLMAO:

I once did a small tour with a singer-songwriter where I had to bring 7 electric guitars just to handle all of the crazy tunings he used.

I used to get into alt tunings a lot more, but I don’t use them as much anymore. DADGAD is still fun though
I was in a band for a few years that had both a male and a female front singers. We played a lot of new country at that time. I had to carry 5 guitars to cover the single coil and humbucker sounds in the tunings we used. It was kind of too much. None of the electronic tuning adjustment devices were good enough to handle it back then. I tried real hard to use my Axe FX Ultra as well as a Morpheus Drop Tune back then. They just couldn't quite get there and that was really the only options I had at the time.

I was in a band for a few years that had both a male and a female front singers. We played a lot of new country at that time. I had to carry 5 guitars to cover the single coil and humbucker sounds in the tunings we used. It was kind of too much. None of the electronic tuning adjustment devices were good enough to handle it back then. I tried real hard to use my Axe FX Ultra as well as a Morpheus Drop Tune back then. They just couldn't quite get there and that was really the only options I had at the time.

When I did that one it was around the time of the Variax 500/700 coming out and I definitely spent some time looking into that as an option. But yeah, the tone and tracking quality just wasn’t quite there

I occasionally play in open G.

I pretty much only play standard but for playing songs recorded in other tunings. I never chose to play in anything but standard.
I mostly play in E standard even for slide, but occasionally play in drop D or open G. I don't detune as the music I play doesn't call for it. If the singer wants to sing in Eb or Ab I'm very comfortable with Bb, Eb, Ab and Db chords, scales and arpeggios in E standard tuning even down in 1st position.

It’s been a long time since I’ve come across one in the wild, but yeah, I know the type. They’re all over TGP. “You just have to use one finger”, yeah dumbass, for that one power chord, as if playing powerchords with 2-3 fingers instead of one is the measure of a fucking guitar player. :rofl

My uncle said it a bunch in the 90’s when I started playing and was getting into Chains. That’s when I learned that if I wait about 2 weeks, my uncle would say the complete opposite thing as if he never spoke of it before. One week Cantrell was just another grunge guy who couldn’t play, 2 weeks later he was the only guy from Seattle actually playing guitar. :ROFLMAO:

Oh man, those damn slide players who tune their guitar to an open chord. Hacks! :hmm

Or even worse are those Pedal and Lap Steel guys and gals who never fret any
notes and use a freaking metal bar to create notes. Hacks! :facepalm

Back