All of My Guitars Sound So Different....

la szum

Goatlord
... and I fucking love that! :banana

It's like having more than one knife while cooking, or a spice rack chock full of
various spices and herbs versus just salt and pepper. By the way, I love salt and
pepper, too! :chef

I recently went through and set up and dialed in my current players, and last night
I was messing about and decided that I would play a few different guitars through
the same Amp Model/Preset/Scene on the Fractal. Bingo! Every guitar sounded dramatically
different, and had various levels of push driving/not driving the Amp Model. It blew my mind
just how interactive, responsive, and dynamic guitars can be when paired with a great
Amp or Amp Model.

It also made me realize that I am not a one guitar kind of guy. I haven't been in years.
Variety is the spice of life and I also have broad tastes in playing styles/music. Apparently,
I am not a monotheist when it comes to axes. There is no "The one" for me. Hasn't been in the
past (though I have keepers), and isn't the case now.

I just enjoy how different guitars pull different things out of me. It's like having a lot of friends
versus one co-dependent one. Not that there is anything wrong with having just one. :LOL:

Curious if others have a "one," or also are in the polyamorous crowd when it comes to guitars. :idk

I'm definitely of the opinion that every guitar has a story to tell or a song to sing. I get different inspiration from every guitar in the stable, and in addition to having their own unique tone and feel, I think they each make me play different.

If I had to pick "the one", it would definitely be a Telecaster. Which one of the 8 Teles is a total crapshoot tho. :LOL:

I’m a certified guitar Wh*re , so it’s a given I’m going to own more than a few different guitars.

While I do own several Strats,Teles, and LP style guitars, most all do sound different from each other.

As long as there’s killer guitar deals to be had, I’ll continue to add tonal versatility to the collection.

I love the idea of having lots of guitars. But every time I have a bunch I realize that in reality I prefer to have less.

Right now I’ve only got one Strat and one LP and I’m pretty happy with that. I do think I need to pickup a backup for each though for gigging

For me there is no "one", I love all 5 of my guitars, they are all different, and all sound different
I mostly attribute it that they all have different type of pickups
Now I also have to confess I see guitars as tools to accomplish what I want to do
If I am learning one song then I pick an appropriate guitar for that song and I stick with that one the other hang on the wall till they are needed for whatever song I want to do next

But thats me

:idk

Last edited:
There’s definitely no Highlander approach here.

That’s the reason I got different guitars. Not just the sounds but the way I end up playing as a result of playing those specific guitars. I don’t think the same way holding a Les Paul as I do an Ibanez JEM.

There’s usually 4 I’m rotating throughout the week, 3 of those tend to change every few months, but the Gilmour Strat is the mainstay. I love all my guitars and am beyond content with how they all play, but picking up that Gilmour Strat makes me smile every time, it just feels a certain way and sounds ridiculous. I think I’m more surprised that I put it together and not only didn’t fuck it up, but it turned out far above my expectations.

I love the idea of having lots of guitars. But every time I have a bunch I realize that in reality I prefer to have less.

Right now I’ve only got one Strat and one LP and I’m pretty happy with that. I do think I need to pickup a backup for each though for gigging

Man, I am shocked a guy like you doesn't have a Tele and a 335/Gretsch/Semi-Hollow of some kind. :idk

I kind of knew this already, Tom, but last night sticking to one preset (JCM800 go figure! :LOL: ) it blew
my mind how different each guitar sounded, and then also felt. It was very stark. :idk
And last night I also had a re-revelation about pickup nuances while sticking to one single guitar and one single preset with a Plexi 50.

After dozens of pups permutations, my J-Custom ended with a Satchur8 bridge and a Gravity Storm neck. My surprise was that I found that the GS neck is more crispy on the highs (in a pleasant way) than the S8 bridge. I had to check the switch position back and forth several times because I was surprised to hear more clarity on the highs at the neck position, but yet with more body on the lows. A very nice combination for both rhythm and leads on the neck, and perfect for smooth mid-scooped leads on the bridge - without the need of tweaking any settings between pup changes.

I've found Nirvana Pups combination for this guitar.

Last edited:
Speaker of differences, did you get a Dreamcatcher yet Dave? Or was it a Rainmaker? I can't even remember which one is the bridge without looking it up! :rofl (But then once I do, I know which one is the neck! Lol)

Haha! Dreamcatcher. :LOL:

Not yet. I am going to put one in the Bridge slot of one of the Charvels and get rid of
the Full Turd. :rofl

I love all my guitars.

super freak funk GIF by Rick James

Haha! Dreamcatcher. :LOL:

Not yet. I am going to put one in the Bridge slot of one of the Charvels and get rid of
the Full Turd. :rofl
Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

I was just playing the opening lead/riff to Another Day, and the last note (high F#) morphs right into an octave harmonic!! Sounds so sweet! And that's thru headphones, so NO acoustic coupling, girlfriend. :rofl

Man, I am shocked a guy like you doesn't have a Tele and a 335/Gretsch/Semi-Hollow of some kind. :idk

I tend to keep a Tele and a 335 around too, but at the moment I don’t have either.

I kind of burned myself out on Teles. Right now the LP and Strat make them feel sort of redundant. Other than straight up chicken pickin I’m preferring the LP for most of what I used to use a Tele for

I like 335s but I don’t like playing them standing up. So I tend to gravitate back to the LP instead.

I keep thinking about picking up a Gretsch and something like a Jackson Soloist, but they’re more specialty guitars for me.

I am always telling people that trying to get an exact replica as a back up to their no 1 stage guitar is a waste of time. The sort of person that defaults to one instrument live is going to have a favourite and that WILL be no1 they end up with a £5k backup that they can’t wait to put down. The money would have been better spent on something unashamedly different . If you have just a small number of guitars ( 5/6) try and cover others ground because you can’t get two the same because they won’t be and you won’t play no2 if no1 is available.

Back