AFD100 first prototype pics (for nerds)

I would LOVE to see it reassembled, full Heineken style :satan :satan :satan

5cf8b7a45d9db9e673b3c3e3bd90695a.jpg

I know it’s one of the SIR modded Marshalls, I think Lynch told the story on a ToneTalk, or maybe it was someone else telling it. I’ll have to find it.
I've heard the story before. I'm just not sure what specific amp it was. I do know that the rumor is that the #34 that Slash used was previously used by Ratt and Dokken (I'd guess Dancin' Undercover and Under Lock and Key at least?).

I've heard the story before. I'm just not sure what specific amp it was. I do know that the rumor is that the #34 that Slash used was previously used by Ratt and Dokken (I'd guess Dancin' Undercover and Under Lock and Key at least?).
I could have this all wrong. Possibility was raised at one point out at SLOclone amp forum that the amp Saul used on AFD was the same SIR Tim Caswell-modded SLP that George used on Back for the Attack, and had also used on the Under Lock and Key tour before it.

Similar ratty, bit loose in the lows, aggressive in the tops tone, in a lot of ways. Hard to prove I 'spose.

Caswell topology I think is a cascaded plexi with an extra stage, OP-amp send/tube recovered loop. The extra 12ax7 was rewired from the tremolo version of the SLP, that had 4 rather than 3 valves (was that #39?).

Caswell had the schematics up at his site years ago. Get a Laney GH50/100L, swap the cold clipper 10K out for a 2.7k/680n on that stage's cathode, virtually the same amp with extra stage switched in, but a little browner.

The apple doesn't seem to fall too far from the trees with these amps.

I could have this all wrong. Possibility was raised at one point out at SLOclone amp forum that the amp Saul used on AFD was the same SIR Tim Caswell-modded SLP that George used on Back for the Attack, and had also used on the Under Lock and Key tour before it.

Similar ratty, bit loose in the lows, aggressive in the tops tone, in a lot of ways. Hard to prove I 'spose.

Caswell topology I think is a cascaded plexi with an extra stage, OP-amp send/tube recovered loop. The extra 12ax7 was rewired from the tremolo version of the SLP, that had 4 rather than 3 valves (was that #39?).

Caswell had the schematics up at his site years ago. Get a Laney GH50/100L, swap the cold clipper 10K out for a 2.7k/680n on that stage's cathode, virtually the same amp with extra stage switched in, but a little browner.

The apple doesn't seem to fall too far from the trees with these amps.
Which was the Aspen Pittman amp?

those original amps were heads modified by SIR and rented out for recording, touring and so on. They had their stock numbers like #34 (the one that Slash currently owns and that is a stock JCM800 2003 with a couple of parts changed for more gain) and #34, #39 that were tremolo amps modified to a 2203 spec plus and extra gain stage. I guess they used the tremolo heads because they had the extra tube in, and probably not that many people care of the tremolo effect anyway...

There has been a lot of speculation about the amps pretty much from when internet started to be popular and there were discussions about them back in the late 90s in the new groups already. Slash himself tried to steal the AFD amp but he wasn't successful :D, it seems that others tried too... pretty much what is clear is that nobody knows what happened to the AFD amp, whether someone has it (maybe not knowing what they have), it may have been scrapped or whatever else.

As far as I have been told, the same amp used in the AFD record is the one that George Lynch used to record and either that amp or the other sibling is the one that appears in the Aspen Pittman book.

the circuit changes themselves were pretty much 'ballparked' from those early internet days, the extra gain stage was a duplication of the exisiting gain stange with the same voltage dividers and so on. Obvioulsy the exact details remain unkonw but the starting point was clear and that's how I did the AFD amp. It was amusing reading people that I was copying their ideas in the forums and so when everything was in the public domain for 10-15 years, the internet you know hahah.

Back