ADA MP-1 So Nice

texhex

Roadie
Buddy of mine dropped this off this afternoon. Man oh man are these a sweet preamp. She's a dusty old girl and the Input jack is a little beat up but damn it sounds absolutely great through the Return of the DSL100H (which has Resonance and Presence controls) into the AXE for effects. Profiles like a dream too.

Highly recommend!

1DWRAZu.jpg

kX8RQYF.jpg

DaLI0iD.jpg

ODZzfKd.jpg

iV0jyFz.jpg

0KWLxEC.jpg

IJmJkyl.jpg

j80vZba.jpg

7sTqmtb.jpg

GaFOe4x.jpg

K6LootY.jpg

hfUtxCK.jpg

EE8hIRl.jpg

I'd love to see an ADA a Demeter and some nice VH4 poweramps in the next Helix firmware update
:whistle

It's a fantastic unit that has stood the test of time. I bought mine new in January 93, had to sell it, then had to buy another one. I can't remember what type, but I recall replacing V1 with a better tube, maybe a Mesa SPAX7, and it made a huge difference! You may want to go ahead and just replace that battery, especially if you don't know how old it is, and don't wanna lose your presets, as that's how they're saved.

I actually like the Solid State mode, as it turned the 2nd(?) gain into a compressor, which works really well for clean/clean-ish tones.

That's a tidy example right there. The AdaDepot website is well worth a visit if you want to pick up some handy hints and fun facts about the MP-1.

It’s so juicy! Great lows and very balanced highs. I’m scooping the mids too. Watched your vid and that preset 45 is pretty close to how I dialed this one in. Just not as extreme in the highs. Had to use a hum eliminator to tame down the noise though. Man, no wonder people like these, it’s got it’s own thing going on.

I still have an MP1 classic in mint condition but it needs a new battery . It can’t hold memory when you turn it off. Error 7 .

Huge MP1 fan. Ran one for years and years. Still unreasonably upset that Cliff doesn't model one in the Fractal stuff. Have been tempted to rebuy one many times even though I can cop 80s tones all day long with my other stuff.

Huge MP1 fan. Ran one for years and years. Still unreasonably upset that Cliff doesn't model one in the Fractal stuff. Have been tempted to rebuy one many times even though I can cop 80s tones all day long with my other stuff.
wait, I thought there WAS an MP-1 in the Fractal?

The other thing I just noticed is that there is no need for a boost with this. Every amp I own (except the EVH ;)) I’m typically lowering the gain (2:00 or so) and then running a SD-1 or Maxon 808 in front to get this type of tone. This thing just works perfectly as is. It’s not heavy metal chugs mind you, but 80’s style tone all day long. Sure hope this old girl doesn’t croak on my watch. Never really played much with just preamps, it may make me want to look into the SYNERGY black hole, ugh.

@2112 that ADA forum is awesome, great resource! Thank you.

I miss mine sometimes. I had the whole shebang set up at one point for a few years. MP-1, ADA stereo amp, dual alesis 31 band eq's dual ADA 2x12 vert cabs etc etc and the MPC controller. What I dont miss is hauling it all around

Don't want to disturb all your nostalgia and what not, but editing that thing was one of the most horrible things ever. More than happy that these days are over. The sound was quite decent, though.

Back