Achilles Last Stand? not so fast..

Achilles

Rock Star
The stomach bug thing turned much worse than thought and ended me up in ICU with heart complications caused by how fucked everything else got. Was admitted for a week and got a few crazy stories to tell!

Wanna guess what getting paddle zapped while wide awake feels like?

Here's a question for the electronics geeks. When I asked how many volts I was zapped with last week while I was conscious the EMT guy replied 200 Joules. Didn't click at the time or I would have asked him to clarify.

They put a cold (metal?) plate under my back and then another on top of my chest - then BLAM!

Why 200 Joules instead of 200 volts? Warm cookies waiting on the first good explanation.

@Achilles Joules is a measure of the energy transferred into you.

Why not Watts? Because watts represent power and have a time component:

1 Watt = 1 Joule per second.

So watts are a rate.

To calculate the volts that you were zapped with, we'd need to know what the charge in Coulombs was. And we don't (or perhaps you do).

If you knew what the charge was, then you could calculate the volts easily:

Here's a question for the electronics geeks. When I asked how many volts I was zapped with last week while I was conscious the EMT guy replied 200 Joules. Didn't click at the time or I would have asked him to clarify.

They put a cold (metal?) plate under my back and then another on top of my chest - then BLAM!

Why 200 Joules instead of 200 volts? Warm cookies waiting on the first good explanation.
It is my understanding that Joules includes the amount of time that the voltage is applied. So if you apply 200 volts for 1 second at a 1 amp, then you would have 200 Joules. However same 200 volts with 1 amp for 2 seconds would be 400 Joules. That is how I understand it anyway.

Time is definitely key. Once you add any of that element you're more into electric shocks, ala stun guns.
I'm thinking the box builds up the potential and then it's discharged more as a static shock than using your body as a load in any way.

Wait, why were you electrified? Was it resuscitation or what?

Back