A pedal similar to Tumnus but without upper mid spike?

Boss OD-3 maybe?
Great pedal. It has just the right amount of mids imo. If I had to use just one standard OD this would be it. Keeping the drive down low helps keep it clear, and tone up to give enough bite. Of course a TS9/808 pedal is great too, although I like the green rhino mk4 more to be able to shape that mid freq.

Just let him listen to the video above. IMO it's as obvious as it gets that the guitar needs to be more upfront. And as said, it's every bit a musical issue (rather than a guitar player one).
What are your thoughts on a 4x12 being so loud right in front of it which prevents it being put in the house much? I'm going to be using my Fractal more which will allow for better house dispersion as opposed to a fire hose of sound in front of my 4 x12

What are your thoughts on a 4x12 being so loud right in front of it which prevents it being put in the house much? I'm going to be using my Fractal more which will allow for better house dispersion as opposed to a fire hose of sound in front of my 4 x12

Well, all I can say is that this is one of the main reasons for me to love modeling and fullrange monitoring.

Especially with a 4x12 in smaller venues, there's always gonna be issues arising. Someone will get the full blast and then that effect wears off quickly as soon as there's folks in front of the stage (as in your case - defenitely doesn't help that the stage isn't raised, either). To make matters worse, especially with a 4x12, it's quite difficult to slant it properly, so that someone receiving the full blast typically isn't you.
IMO, for a 4x12 to work well, the only decent option is to place it quite some meters behind you - or rather a little on one side, simply because our ears don't perceive sounds coming to our back too well.

All of this is no issue anymore instantly once you're using a "FRFR" wedge for your monitoring duties.
And yes, I am absolutely aware of that can of worms. Just personally, I couldn't be any happier and whenever I have the choice (which is pretty much always), I will not use a traditional guitar cab ever again in my life.

Well, all I can say is that this is one of the main reasons for me to love modeling and fullrange monitoring.

Especially with a 4x12 in smaller venues, there's always gonna be issues arising. Someone will get the full blast and then that effect wears off quickly as soon as there's folks in front of the stage (as in your case - defenitely doesn't help that the stage isn't raised, either). To make matters worse, especially with a 4x12, it's quite difficult to slant it properly, so that someone receiving the full blast typically isn't you.
IMO, for a 4x12 to work well, the only decent option is to place it quite some meters behind you - or rather a little on one side, simply because our ears don't perceive sounds coming to our back too well.

All of this is no issue anymore instantly once you're using a "FRFR" wedge for your monitoring duties.
And yes, I am absolutely aware of that can of worms. Just personally, I couldn't be any happier and whenever I have the choice (which is pretty much always), I will not use a traditional guitar cab ever again in my life.
All valid points. For me I finally got the Fractal close to my real amps. I need to wrap my brain around what it sound like out of the mains versus the pure magic of in the room real amp goodness.
I get so fixated on that I lose sight of the reality that that's not what the majority of the people in the room hear.

Another sort of issue is we play out side spring - fall A LOT! I feel like a real amp is always bigger sounding in settings where sound can disappear so to speak in outdoor settings. Context of real amp is a Wizard MC Mk II -Fractal cannot get that punch or tone. And a Friedman JEL 20 w head that Fractal can get very close to :rawk

Back