A New Practice Regimen (Al Di Meola Month)

Your excitement is tiring me out! :bag

I know. It's weird, right? I apologize for the awkwardness. :hugitout

Being this old I really should be incurably jaded, and radiating a bitter
heart built from a lifetime of regret. I'll try to do better. :beer

:rofl

In all seriousness, this has caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting
this newfound motivation and level of enthusiasm. Maybe I am sick? :LOL:

Last edited:

Nope its all good fo shure, i mean isn't this our passion ?
so bring on your enthusiasm we would all love to hear about it

:beer

Not weird at all, it's awesome! I'm happy as chit for you, tbh!

I need to find my own Al, me thinks! Get me out of this rut. It's been "riff city" here this week ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, it is kind of cool how fast I can learn a riff these days. I've sure come a long ways from a few years ago.

I need to find my own Al, me thinks! Get me out of this rut. It's been "riff city" here this week ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, it is kind of cool how fast I can learn a riff these days. I've sure come a long ways from a few years ago.
How about this for a little Inspiration Dave ?

:guiness

Thanks, Gentleman! Got my Sesh in for the day. :knit:beer:pickle:banana

Only a few days in, but prioritizing playing before everything else
means I am actually starting the day off on a great note. Literally! :LOL:

So far I am less irritable, and throughout the day I can reflect back
and visualize what I am working on. And if I am exhausted and
depleted at the end of the day, I can at least find some comfort in
knowing I did practice and intentionally work on some things that
day.

No downside yet! :beer

That's awesome! I am also doing some ear training and doing my damndest
to pick out licks and riffs by ear as I am listening to Al melt my face! :LOL:

I just want to pick up a few tricks and techniques to incorporate into my playing
going forward. Not trying to be Al, or an Al clone. Ok, maybe just the right hand
of the Di Meola. :chef

And if I am exhausted and
depleted at the end of the day
I always am mostly, but in the mornings very active in practice/playing, except when I'm on the 7-3 shift thats the worst week not enough time in the mornings and brain fried after shift :mad:

I’d love to be able to play before starting work in the morning, I’m always most motivated the first 2 hours I’m awake. That’s why how I get in those marathon days in the studio on the weekends.

It’s been about 3 weeks now that I’ve had a guitar in my hands for 2-4 hours every day, I might have skipped one night….maybe. There was a benefit that came with learning all those covers so quickly in that it got me into shape pretty quickly. Standing while playing being a big part of that, my back wasn’t used to that. :rofl

I don’t see myself ever having a regimen again, but as long as I have a guitar in my hands for 30-60 minutes a day I can maintain some consistency for a while and grow off it. Everything I’m writing now is intended to be played live and I’m not allowing myself any easy outs with the guitar or vocal parts so I can call myself a little bitch to motivate myself when I figure out how to do it live.

Your "sesh"? Is that what the cool kids are calling it now? :crazyOops, forgot it was even capitalized! :facepalm

Haha! There's actually very little real freedom in life. Creative use of language is one where I choose
to exercise my liberty. :LOL:

Oh, and the " cool kids" would probably go tldr and exercise the least amount of effort possible. No caps.
No words. No punctuation. No fucks to give. :idk

I always am mostly, but in the mornings very active in practice/playing, except when I'm on the 7-3 shift thats the worst week not enough time in the mornings and brain fried after shift :mad:

When I started this Sunday I immediately thought of you, Mike. Your routine and regimen
was an inspiration. :beer

I expect to be challenged to stick to it. Life can be a real ass kicker, and when it kicks asses
the things we love the most and are the most meaningful to us are often the first things we
end up chucking to the side. :(

Hang in there, Brother! :beer

Yesterday was a real challenge. I had to take my son to U of M (damn near 500 mile roundtrip
for us) to get his stitches out and have the Surgeon check on him for his first Post-Op follow
up. I knew if I didn't get my .... er.... session in ... ;) then I would not want to when I got home. So
I did. Today was even harder to get up early and get that guitar in my hands. Why is sitting your
ass in a car and driving all damn day so damn exhausting? :brick

Bad air on the Interstate? Sucking up all that CO? :idk

We did stop for some Mexican that was total fire. I let my Son search it out and we pulled off the
I-75 and hit a cool Cantina. Chile Rellenos was :chef

I’d love to be able to play before starting work in the morning, I’m always most motivated the first 2 hours I’m awake. That’s why how I get in those marathon days in the studio on the weekends.

It’s been about 3 weeks now that I’ve had a guitar in my hands for 2-4 hours every day, I might have skipped one night….maybe. There was a benefit that came with learning all those covers so quickly in that it got me into shape pretty quickly. Standing while playing being a big part of that, my back wasn’t used to that. :rofl

I don’t see myself ever having a regimen again, but as long as I have a guitar in my hands for 30-60 minutes a day I can maintain some consistency for a while and grow off it. Everything I’m writing now is intended to be played live and I’m not allowing myself any easy outs with the guitar or vocal parts so I can call myself a little bitch to motivate myself when I figure out how to do it live.

Fuck yeah! :headbang

Apart from learning and working on songs I have had zero intentions about
working on my skills. So, this is super refreshing for me. I hope @TSJMajesty
won't get too pissed about me entering his "Theory and Technique" Sub-Forum. :pitchforks

Gear will always get the most traction around here. This is a nice change of focus
for me, though. Gonna ride this pony until she breaks. :beer

Fuck yeah! :headbang

Apart from learning and working on songs I have had zero intentions about
working on my skills. So, this is super refreshing for me. I hope @TSJMajesty
won't get too pissed about me entering his "Theory and Technique" Sub-Forum. :pitchforks

Gear will always get the most traction around here. This is a nice change of focus
for me, though. Gonna ride this pony until she breaks. :beer
Absolutely! Bring it on! Love the interest. ;)

1712875829196.gif

I missed my sesh this morning. 😭 Woke up freezing my ass off. No heat. Pilot is out.

So I left and went to work. Back home now and it won't light. It's windy as fuck and I
think a downdraft blew out my Pilot and now when I try to relight it it blows out my
lighter. :LOL:

Sucking it up with a space heater for the time being.... and hope to Di Meola later. :beer

Back