A late realization about the position of the right hand

TheTrueZoltan!

Shredder
The last few days I have concentrated on improving the posture of my right hand. For as long as I've been playing, I used to have a rather strange hand position, which resulted in me always striking the strings closer to the neck than others. As a result, everything I played sounded a bit muffled and weak, even though I never associated it with that. After more or less accidentally watching a video about correct hand position, I thought it would be a good idea to give it a try. For the first few minutes it felt terribly cramped and even after a few days I still have to force myself not to fall back into the old posture. However, the effect on the sound of my playing is enormous! Everything sounds stronger, more defined, more dynamic and much brighter. I even had to adjust my presets in Helix Native because they suddenly had too much gain. I wish I had realized this much earlier!

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

Sounds like the juncture to adjust your name to TheTruestZoltan!

I've also been working on adjusting my right hand, to stop leaning it on the body so I hit the lowest string the same as the rest (stupid habit).

Also been playing my Luke IV as the middle pickup forces me to keep me from picking too deep.

...the G.A.S. pedal was never stuck, though. :ROFLMAO:

But it's funny, I always found other people's presets to sound dark and muffled. In reality, my playing sucked (it still does, but I could at least improve this little aspect) and I had to compensate that by turning up treble and presence.

Pretty crazy how much the picking hand has an effect on the overall sound coming out of the speakers.

It’s almost as if the fingers are a contributor of tone.
Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Back