7-String Tunings

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I’m sure I could YT this, but I’m starting to look around for a 7 string, to get all djenty, but I’m curious how people tune these. What’s the common tuning with 7 strings? I normally play dropped C#, so when adding a seventh string do you keep the “normal” six strings in “standard” and then the seventh string gets tuned to dropped tuning, or do you keep the “normal” six strings dropped, and the seventh string in “standard” from that.

Trying to figure how much I’ll hate this in advance. Thx. :ROFLMAO:

Usually just do drop A; I’m looking around for one too lately.

It’s been a few years and I’ve almost forgotten how much I hate 7s 😬

So from the top down (low to high) you are in dropped A, but what is the tuning for the added 7th “high” string?

I just usually use standard: BEADGBE

However here’s some additional information:

In that tuning, is the “B” forming a standard barre chord with the e-a beneath it, or a dropped D type chord pattern with the e-a beneath it. If that makes sense.

I keep mine in standard as well, BEADGBE.

Devin Townsend tunes his GCGCGCE and I have no clue how he keeps the tension on that low G string, but surely the Evertune is helping a lot with that!

I only have one seven string and it lives in Drop A most of the time, B Standard gets some play time and I've spent quite some time in BEADF#BE tuning - - basicly (6 string) B Standard with an added high E string.

I keep mine in standard as well, BEADGBE.

Devin Townsend tunes his GCGCGCE and I have no clue how he keeps the tension on that low G string, but surely the Evertune is helping a lot with that!
That rig rundown where he was talking about being in Open C using 10-52 or whatever was :oops:

That rig rundown where he was talking about being in Open C using 10-52 or whatever was :oops:
You can get away with that with an Evertune, but with how hard I pick, I’d have to tune down a extra 1/2 step just to compensate for the slinkiness of that setup!

• Mind Blown
Reactions: JT
You can get away with that with an Evertune, but with how hard I pick, I’d have to tune down a extra 1/2 step just to compensate for the slinkiness of that setup!
I LOVE the blacked out version of his guitar. Though I will never have the $ (or justification) to own one

In that tuning, is the “B” forming a standard barre chord with the e-a beneath it, or a dropped D type chord pattern with the e-a beneath it. If that makes sense.
It adds the fifth that way but an octave lower. So if you did a traditional A six string bar chord at the 5th fret you would get an A chord over E. However if you’re doing power chords then yes. Root 5 octave. So at the 5th on the 7th string it would be an E power chord, on the sixth it would be an A power chord, etc…

Basically if you add the seventh string in standard to either of those shapes it will function, and also the scales stay intact vertically without having to extend down the neck on the 7th string to compensate for just dropping the 7th string whatever number of steps.

Ok, so the bottom 6 are standard and then you drop the lowest string to A which then forms a “dropped d” barre chord structure on the low strings?

Yep, you got it.

Kind of nice to have an actual standard tuned guitar and then those super low power chords when you want them.

If you’ve never played a 7 before, make you to play a few different models if you can. There are a lot of 7 necks that don’t work for me which is why I usually stick to ESP/LTD.

The Ibby Super Wizard or whatever it is feels like the side of a board to me and my hand cramps up like crazy after about 30 mins or so.

Same on the Ibanez 8s.

Yep, you got it.

Kind of nice to have an actual standard tuned guitar and then those super low power chords when you want them.

If you’ve never played a 7 before, make you to play a few different models if you can. There are a lot of 7 necks that don’t work for me which is why I usually stick to ESP/LTD.

The Ibby Super Wizard or whatever it is feels like the side of a board to me and my hand cramps up like crazy after about 30 mins or so.

Same on the Ibanez 8s.

Was gonna say, I sorta miss having standard tuning chord structures since I live in Dropped C, so that might be a benefit.

Was gonna say, I sorta miss having standard tuning chord structures since I live in Dropped C, so that might be a benefit.
This was my big reason for getting a 7. Didn't want to go lower than standard on my 6s but jammed in metal circles.

Back