58 Years, So Long Guitar Player Magazine. Now Total Guitar as well......Been A Great Run!

I could probably insulate my house with all issues of guitar player and guitar world magazines I bought over the decades. Always had great interviews, tips and lessons in them and of course seeing what new gear was coming out.

Oh man! Magazining is gasping for air. Wish I had kept all the old issues.

Remember those floppy insert 45s that had songs/lessons on them??
Oh man .....the smell of those old magazines......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

When I was younger I was given some really old Life Magazines.....that smell....oh ....who knew history had a smell....not unpleasant, not pleasant....just ..... historic.

Oh man .....the smell of those old magazines......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

When I was younger I was given some really old Life Magazines.....that smell....oh ....who knew history had a smell....not unpleasant, not pleasant....just ..... historic.
Can You Smell The Rock GIF by WWE

I wouldn’t be the guitar player I am today without guitar world and guitar player magazines.

I mean…I’m a shitty guitar player, but it would be a lot worse had I not so excitedly looked forward to the tablature in each issue.

If anyone there happens to be reading, sincerely thank you. It sounds dumb but my teenage years were tough and those mags gave me a sanctuary from which I could hide with my guitar, grow, and still feel connected to a community.

Loved guitar mags as a kid, too. I was never happier than when I had a new Guitar World or Guitar Player + a stack of Chips Ahoy and glass of milk. :giggle:
Ha this really brings back memories. I remember sweeping the racks at any store I’d find that sold magazines. I think I was in 6th grade when I started trading out MAD magazine for guitar mags. Never looked back.

Truly the end of an era.

I wouldn’t be the guitar player I am today without guitar world and guitar player magazines.

I mean…I’m a shitty guitar player, but it would be a lot worse had I not so excitedly looked forward to the tablature in each issue.

If anyone there happens to be reading, sincerely thank you. It sounds dumb but my teenage years were tough and those mags gave me a sanctuary from which I could hide with my guitar, grow, and still feel connected to a community.

Yup. I read them and re-read them religiously. Wolf Marshall and Andy Aledort both taught me
music theory. I just put that shit in front of my face until I began to have a clue about what they
were both going on and on about.

I wouldn't actually trade that experience for a million YT videos today. Glad I was so "deprived." :beer

I had a constant rotation of pictures and posters on my wall I pulled out of these magazines. I always flipped first to Alex Skolnick’s column. Somehow they had me signed up twice so I got two in the mail every month and I’d give the other one away to my buddies at school.

Back