Youtube Complaining about Adblockers

mavrick102000

Shredder
Most likely many have seen the Adblocker warning Pop Up on YouTube over the last few weeks, which gets progressively more annoying.

Fuck them we will not comply just to fund their youtube TV bullshit.

My recommendations are:
1. DO NOT turn off adblocking - fuck them. If you have an account, log out.
2. Open a private window - browse Youtube without the nag - for now.

It seems like it detects the shields and Adblocker in Brave and uBlock Origin and will launch the pop up regularly whether you're logged into your account or not.

It does not complain about privacy badger - yet in either Brave or Firefox.

Developers will figure out a tweak until YT's AI figures out ways to detect other items, but these steps can get you by for now, and keep your watching ad free.

There is a constant arms race going on, but if you follow the regularly updated uBlock Origin instructions here, then the popup nags and ads are defeated:

Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/178yasm/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_16_2023/

That's a stickied post, so easy to return to from the uBlockOrigin sub-reddit.

It's currently working for me, anyway.

I just pay for YouTube Premium because I watch it more than any other streaming service. And I don’t even take advantage of the TV portion.

Stay signed out, reload the page. Or use Brave :love:rollsafe
Brave doesn't prevent it by default. It was one of the first browsers to get hit by the updated adware attack vector. Remember Brave is using the core Google Chrome engine, it's just been modified.

Brave doesn't prevent it by default. It was one of the first browsers to get hit by the updated adware attack vector. Remember Brave is using the core Google Chrome engine, it's just been modified.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯I've never had a problem with Brave. Aren't all browsers built on Chrome nowadays :cuss I was just complaining about that yesterday actually

¯\_(ツ)_/¯I've never had a problem with Brave. Aren't all browsers built on Chrome nowadays :cuss I was just complaining about that yesterday actually
Same. But last week it started for me. I run Brave and firefox, have a stupid amount of tabs open at any given time, but uBlock and privacy badger have been in common use on all my systems for years.

I forgot about the flushing cache options.

I'm guessing they have just rolled this out in the US because I am not seeing any of it?

I do use Adguard as my ad blocker. For Android users, Youtube Revanced is the way to go.

Whenever I try to watch YouTube on my smart TV or my iPad, I find out what a nightmare hellscape of ads it is.

Aren't all browsers built on Chrome nowadays
Most are on Chromium, which is the open source version. This distinction matters because most likely if Google were to block adblockers on their own Chrome browser, this would not affect Chromium as developers would just fork it and do their own thing without those blocks in place.

My browser of choice is Vivaldi because it has some awesome tab management and tiling features. Very good if you want to see several tabs side by side, group your tabs or have separate workspaces for different things.

I use Brave, Adblock Plus, SponsorBlock, and Brave's "block element" feature, and I don't get ad blocker nags on YT in incognito in the USA.

FWIW, I also have YT Premium because I generally don't mind paying for a service that I use that much - I spend more time on it than I do on any of the streaming services my Wife subscribes to. I don't think I've ever watched YT TV, and it's been a decade since I watched a mainstream movie on YT.

I'd rather not give Alphabet any money for anything and not use their stuff, but....unfortunately, enough of the world disagrees with me that it isn't really an option right now.

I've also followed certain creators to other video platforms....if someone is on something else, that's generally where I watch them.

Back