Your first love …

fretworn

Rock Star
By 1977 or so I had been working as a caddy at a golf club in Chicago and saved enough money to buy one of these. It was my second acoustic ever, but the first one was so terrible I decided to get a faux-Martin.

Jacaranda Rosewood was still available, along with tight grain white German Spruce tops! Ebony fretboard and some gaudy MoP purfling.

To me that’s what belongs on an acoustic. :) Remember, it was the 70s. ;)

E02A4F31-AB0A-485A-A63F-F8F639104D86.jpeg

1978 Hohner Dreadnaught 6 string

First it was Gilmour’s red Strat, before I knew anything about guitars at all. I just thought it looked so futuristic :D I had a Fender catalog with a Candy Apple Red ‘57 Vintage Reissue in it and I’d sit at the table and just stare at it for hours. Then it was Vai’s white JEM, the 7V. I saw him at a G3 show in ‘96 and was just blown away. Shortly after I had an Ibanez catalog that I’d sit at the table and just stare at for hours. About a year later my dad met some woman online and long story short, they bribed me with the JEM; if I moved to Staten Island I could get it, but I had to leave all my friends behind in NH.

I had the JEM a month later. 🤣

And now they’re both mine!

I don’t know about first “love” - but my first guitar ever was a Squire Bullet like below. Bought it in college at a local guitar shop where the salesman was a lead guitarist from a rockabilly band (The Road Kings) and man he made that guitar sing. I thought, ”if he can make it do THAT!!…”. Of course, I never did make it do that… LOL.

5332A914-032A-4534-B1B0-3FAF5CD626FC.jpeg

For me, I found it while sitting in my friend's house in the late 60's looking at early 60's Gibson catalogs that his older brother had. I was probably 7 or 8, and the L5 just seemed like the most beautiful piece of wood I had ever seen in my life. It was perfect with that big hipped womanly figure, and that gorgeous red and gold. F'ing perfect. I eventually got one a few years ago, but the possibility of scratching it up took a lot of the joy out of playing it. Wish I still had it, I'd wear the finish it off it!

Face.jpg

Last edited:
the guitar i always lusted after was an anderson drop top. bought one used and loved it. was an anderson guy for many, many years before finally getting bitten by the tyler bug.

anderson is still amazing, and i plan to get another soon.

My first guitar was something called "Terminator" and it had an amp and speaker built into it somehow. I think it was one of these:

guitar-jpg.1460204

That was a complete piece of junk, so I ended up buying a Kramer guitar and solid state practice amp combo from Sam's Club for $200 in 1995. The guitar was a really, really cheap Strat knockoff:

fnycwylaahjdreirofh0.jpg

Had a couple other cheap guitars until I got my first real guitar, a 1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio in wine red. These ones were pretty cool, they had ebony fretboards and gold hardware. It looked like this:

asivzx3oodw2vnxnq3bn.jpg

I was 13, I had been playing guitar for a couple months and my mom bought me my first guitar magazine. It had an ad for this gorgeous thing, and I immediately wanted one. It might not have been the greatest guitar in the world, but this aesthetic totally sold me.

pacif.jpg

I was 13, I had been playing guitar for a couple months and my mom bought me my first guitar magazine. It had an ad for this gorgeous thing, and I immediately wanted one. It might not have been the greatest guitar in the world, but this aesthetic totally sold me.

View attachment 1787
I had a 412D and it was my Ibanez killer. Played better than most RGs in the same price-range. I had a burst one just like the link below, my buddy had a Natural finish one.

As far as guitars go lol, this would be mine. A Fender strat (I think it was called a California Strat). Kinda like a semi metallic ice blue color with a mirror pick guard. My tinkering with things began at a young age and I installed a Washburn wonder bar locking trem on it. Fantastic guitar that I let go about 20 years ago for about 200 bucks. That’s me playing it at a small gig when I was a teenager in high school…

40BC97F7-8737-40C4-9C7C-1EA7F6E6C479.jpeg

If were talking Guitars then would have to be my Revstar, was my 2nd guitar ever, the first was a Fender Strat Player series plagued with Issues and I sold it 6 months later and bought the Revstar, I did sell it recently only because i want the new Revstar II

Rev Front.jpg

Back