• Boss IR-2/200

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Friedman IR-X

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
Cleanish single channel amp.

Why not try a Joyo American Sound for $39. Will work with pedals too.

If I venture into the Synergy world that Deliverance Module is first on the list
Arnold Schwarzenegger Handshake GIF

Spent the afternoon playing the Lion. Overall impressions very good!

I wish it was a little more responsive, and I wish I could control the bright cap because 100pf seems a bit on the dark side. But overall it sounds excellent!

I got really annoyed when I tried to see what the app is all about though…
  • Download the app
  • Create an account
  • Connect Bluetooth (which was terrible and took forever)
  • Register the pedal…
Only to then be told that I have to update the firmware before I can use the app :confused:

Which means trying to find a USB-C cable :(

And installing a desktop editor :mad:

Last edited:

I wish it was a little more responsive, and I wish I could control the bright cap because 100pf seems a bit on the dark side. But overall it sounds excellent!

I got a really annoyed when I tried to see what the app is all about though…
  • Download the app
  • Create an account
  • Register the pedal…
Only to then be told that I have to update the firmware before I can use the app :confused:

Used? I think new they come with cable

Used? I think new they come with cable

No, brand new. No cables in the box. Looks like I’ll have to buy a usb-c cable

I am eager to hear your thoughts. @laxu talked me out of one, and it is all on you
to talk me back into one. :beer

Aside from the annoying hassles of the app, editor, and firmware updating, it really is very good!

Everything feels right, the controls all act like you’d expect, and it sounds better than any other digital Marshall I’ve heard in a hardware device (aside from Fractal).

I feel like the Fractal models are a bit more responsive, but that could be because I’m comparing to my memory of the 50w Plexi in Fractal and I think the Lion is the 100w?

My only small complaint about the tones is that I think 100pf bright cap seems a bit on the dark side and I wish I had the ability to control that value more than just toggling between 100pf and 5000pf.

I would much rather have had a knob control the bright cap value than have a knob control room reverb emulation.

I Dont Think So No Way GIF

Thanks for the breakdown, Met. The Fractal Marshalls still blow me away.
I appreciate you including that comparison in there. :beer

Yeah, if you’ve got a Fractal I think the only thing you’re gaining with the Lion is small pedal form factor.

Other than that I think the Fractal models are still better. If nothing else just because of the ability to tweak the bright cap value

• Download the app
  • Create an account
  • Register the pedal…

@laxu :

1707328578840.jpeg

Friedman IR-X is absolutely killer! I picked up one earlier this week for my tech bench and use it as my backup when playing live.
The stock IRs are not my favourite so a few of them save in from York Audio and it's perfect!

Friedman IR-X puzzles me. 128 possible patches available using midi BUT.... you cant save any of the tone control's settings because it's part of the analog preamp circuit.

I get that it sounds wonderful and dynamic. I know folks love the IR-X. No problem with that. Just seems like the midi is wasted.

I don't use IR's with modeling when gigging. Maybe that is more effective as an alternative to saving BMT settings. :idk

• Download the app
  • Create an account
  • Register the pedal…

Wow. They still haven't fixed that nonsense yet? It was like that when I bought the Golden Reverberator nearly 2 years ago.

Well, my laptop issue strikes again… it’s not compatible with the UA Control app.

Which means I can’t update the firmware, which means I can’t use the mobile app, which means I can’t even set one of the footswitches to toggle the boost :mad:

Looks like it might be going back…

And I’m back to the question of do I invest in a new laptop or just buy a tube amp

Well, my laptop issue strikes again… it’s not compatible with the UA Control app.

Which means I can’t update the firmware, which means I can’t use the mobile app, which means I can’t even set one of the footswitches to toggle the boost :mad:

Looks like it might be going back…

And I’m back to the question of do I invest in a new laptop or just buy a tube amp
That's a huge concern with me and UA. What if they don't support the app anymore?

Back