Where to start with lap steel?

Sleezy E

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
I nabbed a lap steel on offer up for 80 bones last week and I've watched some youtoobers talk about tunings, technique and such.

I bought it just to add an extra layer (and maybe a few licks) to my home recordings.

Any advice out there for a hack guitarist trying to play hack slide? Tunings? String gauges?

Resized_20220828_102216.jpeg

I nabbed a lap steel on offer up for 80 bones last week and I've watched some youtoobers talk about tunings, technique and such.

I bought it just to add an extra layer (and maybe a few licks) to my home recordings.

Any advice out there for a hack guitarist trying to play hack slide? Tunings? String gauges?

View attachment 154

but then its hard to reach and the middle leg pokes me in the balls!
Haha. True. Wish I had tips but I don’t. But I bought one for my dad for Christmas a few years ago and he had fun with it for a while. YouTube had all he needed… which is par for the course these days.

I saw Derek Trucks for the first time at the Gregg Allman and friends tour in umm... 2003? My dad got the tix for us, fantastic show

i-am-not-worthy-not-worthy.gif

I’ve never used one but I’ve been considering grabbing a cheaper one just to see if I dig it or not. It’d just be for me to do more “I’m pretending I’m Gilmour” crap in my apartment, I’d tune it to open E and just play “One Of These Days” and the “High Hopes” solo over and over.

Enjoy it, man!!

View attachment 154
I've got a square neck acoustic dobro that I've dinked around on a bit. Its tuned GBDgbd which is nice, because getting started you can kind of just learn it like its a three string instrument split into two octaves. Technique wise, I found that just focusing on one or two cliche licks and getting them to sound in tune, in time, and in style was the most important thing to focus on in the beginning more so than trying to learn all the notes to play, if that makes sense. Good luck!

Back