Where are the pedal amps?

pipelineaudio

Shredder
The way things proliferate, I would have thought we'd see piles and piles of small, light, cheap amps by now. Instead we have a few rebadged amps of dubious origin by carvin, Harley benton and others of low power, and some insanely priced AB amps from duncan and others. I wonder why we don't see more 200 watt or more icepower amps on the market.

Are the TC bass heads still a viable option for powering "FRFR" and things like this

I think Quilter has some interesting options, though most if not all have integrated preamps.
That suddenly became idioticially priced after moving production overseas. NTTAWWT as far as production location goes but prices going haywire all of a sudden is ugh.

Most of these still seem pretty low power for the price compared to bass amps. We live in a world where a two hundred dollar car audio amp can actually FOLD a windshield with a 40 dollar speaker...I don't think we're asking for too much here

That suddenly became idioticially priced after moving production overseas. NTTAWWT as far as production location goes but prices going haywire all of a sudden is ugh.
I should have bought a baker's dozen of those M101's when they were $179. :D

Big iron matters.

Cowboy Yeehaw Agenda GIF by NPO Radio 2

Here is a pedal that is an amplifier;

And a good review from someone who is paid to do it.
You don’t see this from the charlatan channels do we Darrell?

Last edited:
The way things proliferate, I would have thought we'd see piles and piles of small, light, cheap amps by now. Instead we have a few rebadged amps of dubious origin by carvin, Harley benton and others of low power, and some insanely priced AB amps from duncan and others. I wonder why we don't see more 200 watt or more icepower amps on the market.

Are the TC bass heads still a viable option for powering "FRFR" and things like this
Who has a passive "FRFR" that needs powering anymore? Car poweramps don't have to worry about power supplies the way pedal amps do, since they have a huge source of DC power coming directly from the car's electrical system. So with pedal amps, you wind up with stuff that is actually pedalboard "friendly" but has a wimpy power supply and puts out ... not really enough oomph. Or stuff that is a bit bulky for a pedalboard but actually has some.oomph behind it.

I'm all for small/light poweramps, but pretty convinced that the speaker box is the right place for them, not the pedalboard.

It is for me. I’m using one alongside a Duncan PS170 to power two 2x12’s. Had I known about them when I bought the 170, I would have just bought 2 TC’s instead and saved money!

Back