When pianists write guitar parts…

You mean for the 16th note runs?

I’m picking the first note on the E string, pulling off to the second note, and sweep picking the last two notes.

That pattern lies best with my muscle memory
I tried it a few ways and you are on point for using sweep picking. For me, at 140bpm, the one that worked best is similar to yours on the first 2 shapes, but switching over to B string for last 2 (in a way to avoid that wide 9-4 stretch).

So the 11-6 and 9-4 shape become 16-11 (sweep 13-13) and 14-9 (sweep 11-11) on the BGD Strings.

Of course, if your Gambale chops are on point, you could sweep the entire chord shape, one note per string lol (EBGD strings). I can’t do that :(

1718976990697.png

Haha! Sweeps for a Broadway Show Tune. Who knew it would ever become a thing?? :idk

I tried it a few ways and you are on point for using sweep picking. For me, at 140bpm, the one that worked best is similar to yours on the first 2 shapes, but switching over to B string for last 2 (in a way to avoid that wide 9-4 stretch).

So the 11-6 and 9-4 shape become 16-11 (sweep 13-13) and 14-9 (sweep 11-11) on the BGD Strings.

Of course, if your Gambale chops are on point, you could sweep the entire chord shape, one note per string lol (EBGD strings). I can’t do that :(

Yeah, my Gambale chops are not strong enough for that :rofl

I like the idea of dropping down to the B string for the second two. I’m going to try that!

What kind of tone are you using for that passage, Met? Just curious. :idk

You mean for the 16th note runs?

I’m picking the first note on the E string, pulling off to the second note, and sweep picking the last two notes.

That pattern lies best with my muscle memory

Maybe use a pitch transposer, +12, play it on the G string- T-12 p7 p5 p0, switch to +10 for the 2nd beat, +8 for the 3rd, then +6 for the last.

Or practice the whole thing as a swept 1-2-3-4 strings, fingered as a Sus2 chord. It would be difficult to get clean at that tempo for sure, but if you could get it close enough...?

Another thing I thought of, which if it were me, I'd also have to try a VC cuz my brain can't handle the CPU load, is similar to what you landed on, but...

Do the 15-10 pull-off, but tap the 15. Then tap 13 on the B, then do a 'hammer-on-from-nowhere' with your ring finger on the g-12. I could maybe get that pattern clean and up to tempo, but I'd want to see if the VC could track it fast enough to switch it down 2 half-steps, for beats 2, 3, & 4, cuz I doubt I could shift it that fast, without spending way too much practice time for what essentially amounts to ~2 seconds of music! :rofl

Not sweeps, but…

Notice he said, "Luckily I worked on that when I was younger..."
Gambale style!
I'm of the firm belief if you didn't learn various difficult techniques when you were 14, you ain't getting them past 40. Or, at the very least, without a shit-ton of practice, so much so, that if it's not going to be something you regularly need to pull out of your bag-o-tricks, it's just not worth the time.

Ugh, anyone else have to deal with this? This is a reduction orchestration so a pianist took the original guitar parts and tried to transcribe them, and then added some lines from other instruments to the guitar score.

First, this line is at about 140bpm. I know that line probably lay well on the harp or whatever originally played it, but do you have any idea how hard that is to play on a guitar!?!?

View attachment 24150

Second, that F is 8va?!? Sorry, I don’t have a 25 fret guitar!

View attachment 24148

Third. Do you have any idea how bad those chord voicings sound with distortion?! I know those sound good on your piano but I don’t think this is the sound you want on guitar so I guess I’ll have to fix it for you.

View attachment 24149

And Fourth. Stop trying to write every. single. chord. in that comping pattern in voicings a pianist would use.

View attachment 24151

Ugh :rolleyes:
Other that that F5 (which could still be played as a bend) I don’t see your bitch the voicing work perfectly fine with distorted guitar.

As for the 16th note line in the first example that’s so not an issue at 140bpm

E—15–10———-13–8
B————13—————11
G—————-12—————10

Etc…

Other that that F5 (which could still be played as a bend) I don’t see your bitch the voicing work perfectly fine with distorted guitar.

As for the 16th note line in the first example that’s so not an issue at 140bpm

E—15–10———-13–8
B————13—————11
G—————-12—————10

Etc…

Haven’t you ever run across annoying things in a score arranged by a pianist? Seems like I see it all the time. Chord voicings that aren’t physically possible to play, notes out of guitar range, not understanding voicings that work best with different sounds, etc.

Haven’t you ever run across annoying things in a score arranged by a pianist? Seems like I see it all the time. Chord voicings that aren’t physically possible to play, notes out of guitar range, not understanding voicings that work best with different sounds, etc.
Yes but I’m a glutton for punishment when comes to that and figure or try to figure on how to make work

Back