When do you buy new vs new??

sleewell

Roadie
Looking at a guitar that is $1,250 new w free shipping. There is a used one that looks to be in very good condition but I can only talk him down to $990 shipped.

Is that enough % off for you or would you rather just buy new at that point? I kinda feel like buying used there used to be more of a discount but I know the last few years may have changed things.

For still in production guitars that I buy online and can't play first, I mostly buy new or B-stock from a reputable dealer. This, because there can be lots of variance from one guitar to another and guitars are more susceptible to shipping damage.

Other electronic gear I look for a net 20% discount off of new including taxes and shipping all said and done. Otherwise, I buy new or B-stock.

New = No hassle returns and less possible issues.

Used = More risk and possible heartache.

Yea that all makes sense to me. I buy b stocks too, always seem to get basically perfect stuff too so far at least.

Last edited:
With pedals/electronic equipment, I’ll generally spend a little more than I *need* to so I can get a warranty, but for guitars, I’ll generally always go the cheapest route. There’s not a lot on them aside from frets I can’t take care of on my own, so the warranty on a guitar isn’t as much of a big deal to me.

And B-stocks FTW, indeed.

For still in production guitars that I buy online and can't play first, I mostly buy new or B-stock from a reputable dealer. This, because there can be lots of variance from one guitar to another and guitars are more susceptible to shipping damage.

Other electronic gear I look for a net 20% discount off of new including taxes and shipping all said and done. Otherwise, I buy new or B-stock.

New = No hassle returns and less possible issues.

Used = More risk and possible heartache.
I'm pretty much the same but expect a 25% price drop for used. With guitars, I'm more likely to haggle down on the new one if it's online and I can't play one in person. Most online sellers will give at least 10% off. If I was in your situation, @sleewell, I'd offer 'em $1100 and feel like that is a no brainer over a used one for $990.

Granted there are always variables - like if the used one has an "upgrade" I like, or was recently set-up/fret dressed/etc... or, does the new shop offer to do all that before shipping the guitar? I've bought two Epiphones recently from one shop that does a full setup/fret dress/new strings with every new guitar - which is worth paying extra for in my mind.

That's a good idea. Thanks. Just contacted the seller outside of reverb to ask if they would do 10% off the new price.

At the very least if the seller is a shop and you go to their page directly and not through reverb you may be able to save on sales tax which help top.

That's a good idea. Thanks. Just contacted the seller outside of reverb to ask if they would do 10% off the new price.

At the very least if the seller is a shop and you go to their page directly and not through reverb you may be able to save on sales tax which help top.
I still always stay in Reverb, unless the seller has a legit store website. When I'm selling something and someone wants to talk about it off Reverb 99% of the time it's a scam, so I tend to ignore those requests anymore.
Anymore used prices are so dumb that it becomes just as easy to wait out a new item deal vs haggling down a price with a delusional seller.
It's crazy the way EVERYTHING has gotten dumb price wise lately. $20 for one person to eat a fast food meal? $10 for a 2x4? Inflation in the US is so insanely out of control we're all going to be broke soon...

If I can’t play it first, I want a return policy.

If you can play it first and it’s an amazing guitar that speaks to you, who cares if it’s a little overpriced or not discounted enough for being used. You could play 5 more of the same model and not find one of them to speak to you the same way.

D

I never buy a guitar I haven’t played and I almost never buy new. Mint second hand is the best way to go but you often have to go with whatever colour is available.

I always do that, if it is an option. Not fair to Reverb... I mean, Etsy... but better for the seller and the buyer.

Anymore used prices are so dumb that it becomes just as easy to wait out a new item deal vs haggling down a price with a delusional seller.

I think we may have peaked on the madness (outside of vintage gear). I am guessing all those people
who picked up guitar during the Pandemic are going to be parting with a lot of that gear, because
music is f'ing hard man.

I usually try to buy used if possible but sometimes the right gear isn't available - either too new, too niche or nobody just has decided to sell theirs.

I think I'm at about 50/50 for new vs used for any of my gear.

I never buy a guitar I haven’t played and I almost never buy new. Mint second hand is the best way to go but you often have to go with whatever colour is available.

I’ve bought a guitar I hadn’t played three times. One worked out and I still have it, one didn’t, and one is TBD (vintage guitar that was in parts I took a chance on that needs some work). The one that didn’t work out had a rubber neck, no way you can tell that from pics and it’s too subjective to ask the seller about it I think. That rubber necked one was bought used, so I was stuck with it. I traded it to a music store sometime later.

Both of those guitars were inexpensive (under $450 I think).

Now, I want to play the guitar first unless I can easily return it to a local store for a full refund if it doesn’t live up to my expectations.

If I have a particular model I want, the best case scenario is to find a local score with multiples of that exact model in stock so that I can play them side by side and pick the one I like best if there’s a difference among them. Can be pretty eye opening to play 5 of the “same” guitar and see just how different they respond, feel, and sound.

D

Back