What's your Unicorn Guitar

tekbow

Roadie
Not that I've ever attempted to find one, possibly because it'd be nigh on impossible and prohibitively expensive.

I'd look an idiot with one slung on too.

But for me, the ESP Kerry King V. The black one is just as cool too. It's my personal iconic V. The reverse hockey stick headstock just mad works, plus that era of Slayer was when I started listening.

a9b23a5cc802efebddea57eb64773e27.jpg

Last edited:
There’s a red sparkle flake of my #1 guitar out there somewhere; I saw it for sale one time and it was gone the next day. I’m pretty sure it was a proto for the model.

I’ve actually thought about buying another one and having it refinished but the cost for both is prohibitively expensive.

Looks great tho!

B5CDEBA9-558D-44E6-A250-EE589C1875E2.jpeg

Ibanez JEM10-

s329622902108842324_p41_i364_w2560.jpeg

I saw those guitars go from $1700 in ’97 to whatever ridiculous price they’re at now. There are only 852 out there, but I will own one before I die. I at least got to play one once. A buddy of mine used to collect J-Customs and had all of them except the RG-EGYPT (that was HIS unicorn, then he finally got it and sold the whole collection promptly after :ROFLMAO: ) and I had all of them to play that night, I probably played 2 of them and just played the JEM10 all night.

I once had a chance to trade in my Epiphone for one of these at a local shop for $899, but I was in high school and that was a fortune. I always wanted one so bad, but it always seemed to elude me.

1d0dfed680fa2fbdc3853d1706593175.jpg

These are one of my biggest regrets. For a brief period in the late 90’s/early 00’s you could find a JPM (not so much the P1) for dirt cheap. I passed on a P3 for $400 because it was in rough shape and I’d bitch slap a baby for one now. I’ve never even had the chance to play one, I’m really curious what the Viper neck feels like.

I would say my "unicorn guitar" is waaaaaayyyyyyy past being appropriate for the 'Now' me. It would be a desert camo Hanneman or ESP Vypyr guitar. Mainly because of the finish for whatever completely not my style reason. I still dig 'em though :satan

Last edited:
These are one of my biggest regrets. For a brief period in the late 90’s/early 00’s you could find a JPM (not so much the P1) for dirt cheap. I passed on a P3 for $400 because it was in rough shape and I’d b*tch slap a baby for one now. I’ve never even had the chance to play one, I’m really curious what the Viper neck feels like.

I never actually had the chance to play one either. I had a friend who was taking lessons at a local shop that had one on display. I used to go with him and sit there and drool over it while he was doing his lessons. But I was a greasy teenager with no money and they wouldn't let me even touch it, haha

The closest I got was a couple years after he switched to EBMM I snagged an original JP6 for $700. It was brand new but some kid at GC had dropped it and taken a chunk of wood out of the front. One of the best guitars I ever owned, but it wasn't quite the same.

I would say my "unicorn guitar" is waaaaaayyyyyyy past being appropriate for the 'Now' me. It would be a desert camp Hanneman or ESP Vypyr guitar. Mainly because of the finish for whatever completely not my style reason. I still dig 'em though :satan
I wouldn't mind a plain black dot inlay Hanneman because it would be a way of getting a non reverse headstock M type

They really need to bring back the Mirage as a US or Original Series.

I'd have less criticism for the US ESPs then (I don't have lots other than they're not Japanese).

Since I first started playing guitar I had wanted a white Ibanez RG550. That was my unicorn for sure.
It's still my favourite look for an RG (black headstock with maple fretboard) and I finally got one as my first ever eBay guitar purchase about ten years ago.

It was in great shape but I grew to dislike 24 fret guitars as a whole, along with the RG necks in general. Also this particular guitar sounded like crap. :rofl

It was a first-year RG, 1987. I probably should have kept it and just replaced the pickups / wiring but I'm glad that I owned it for a few years atleast.

You know what would be awesome...

Gil Yaron 1959 Les Paul replica, but with his twists. I love the look of a classic vintage Les Paul, but I want his unique mahogany shell with paulownia/balsa core, and I want his air gap pickups. That would lighten up the weight of the guitar and make it much clearer sounding like a Tele/Paul hybrid.

Just need about $15k...

33614863_1870426099681981_8148873379487678464_n.jpg

Back