What's The Mix Like Up Close?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
When you're up close, with a silent stage, does anyone know what that mix will sound like?

All the other times I've had close seats like that, it's been with amps on stage.

Like, are the drums more predominant?

Yup. Fucks up the experience. All the guitars are coming through FOH and the
line array so you get this weird latency and odd experience of drums in your face
and all the instruments/vocals behind you.

If there are some wedges on stage you may get a bit of Vocals.

I think it is all dumb, and I like the old school approach of the entire band having
stage volume.

It's like the Mega Churchification of Live Music. :facepalm

The other thing I have heard and seen 1st hand are FOH Engineers struggling with the
drums being too loud even when there are no live amps on stage.

Yeah, trying turning them down fuckface! :horse

When you're up close, with a silent stage, does anyone know what that mix will sound like?

All the other times I've had close seats like that, it's been with amps on stage.

Like, are the drums more predominant?
Ugh… I saw Devin Townsend in Denver (silent strange) a few years ago and was standing in the front row. The PA was literally overhead and behind me. I heard predominantly drums, but the rest of the mix was thankfully loud enough that it was audible.

I absolutely love when bands use cabinets I’m in the front row. It less of a proper mix, but really sounds and feels like a true, live performance.

IMO, the best seats for a silent stage gig are as close to the sound guy as possible. But sometimes you just have to suffer through it to be up close to your heroes.

Hmmm, I was afraid of that. And I didn't think about it when I grabbed those last 2 remaining seats in the 2nd row for Dream Theater.

Oh well. My buddy Rob, who will be going with me, is a drummer, and he's ALWAYS picking apart drum mixes and tones and such (but damn does he know how to get a kit to sound KILLER!), and he loves Portnoy, and he was disappointed that I never even thought to ask him if he wanted to go with me to see Petrucci last year..., so he should be real happy.

This theater is probably 50% bigger than the one I saw JP at (also in DC), and I was also in the 2nd row, but those seats were right up against the stage. In fact, that 1st and 2nd row were actually not even on the theater's web-site seating chart, meaning, they added them. But that show had on-stage amps. (Which was awesome!!)

So maybe these seats will be a ways back from the stage.

I also have 2 other friends who may want to go, and if so, I'll get 2 more seats closer to the FOH mixer, and maybe we can trade at intermission.

Hmmm, I was afraid of that. And I didn't think about it when I grabbed those last 2 remaining seats in the 2nd row for Dream Theater.

Oh well. My buddy Rob, who will be going with me, is a drummer, and he's ALWAYS picking apart drum mixes and tones and such (but damn does he know how to get a kit to sound KILLER!), and he loves Portnoy, and he was disappointed that I never even thought to ask him if he wanted to go with me to see Petrucci last year..., so he should be real happy.

This theater is probably 50% bigger than the one I saw JP at (also in DC), and I was also in the 2nd row, but those seats were right up against the stage. In fact, that 1st and 2nd row were actually not even on the theater's web-site seating chart, meaning, they added them. But that show had on-stage amps. (Which was awesome!!)

So maybe these seats will be a ways back from the stage.

I also have 2 other friends who may want to go, and if so, I'll get 2 more seats closer to the FOH mixer, and maybe we can trade at intermission.
What venue are you going to?

Edit: Nevermind. DC. Reading is hard. :wat

What venue are you going to?

Edit: Nevermind. DC. Reading is hard.
Anthem Theater in DC. 3 days after your show. 2nd-to-last show of the tour. MSG is last. Edit: Radio City. DUH

Pretty cool how they start in London and end in New York! Nothing for the Aussies though.

Last edited:
The other thing I have heard and seen 1st hand are FOH Engineers struggling with the
drums being too loud even when there are no live amps on stage.

Yeah, trying turning them down fuckface! :horse
A drummer that understands it is a musical instrument is a rare find. The only answer is IEMs. I took out my IEMs for a song last night and it was just an assault of cymbals.

A drummer that understands it is a musical instrument is a rare find. The only answer is IEMs. I took out my IEMs for a song last night and it was just an assault of cymbals.

The last national touring show I went to they had 3 bands and they all had their kits
set up, with each drummer being closer to the front of the stage. Opening act's drummer
was so close to the front of the stage that he was murdering the lead singer's microphone.

All you could hear for 45 minutes. Drums. No vocals.

Soundman was pissed off and blamed it on the band/drummer. "I told them not to play
so loud!" as he storms from the board to the stage in an hissy fit.

But what was that band supposed to do? They were in an impossible situation simply based
on how all 3 bands setup with cascading backlines. :idk

And yeah, a lot of drummers are animals and have only 1 volume. :facepalm

And watch me hit EVERY cymbal every time with the thickest part of my sticks. :bonk

IMO, the best seats for a silent stage gig are as close to the sound guy as possible. But sometimes you just have to suffer through it to be up close to your heroes.

Totally! It also gives you a chance to hear what the FOH guys are hearing,
and how good their ears are.... or are not. :idk

And yeah, a lot of drummers are animals and have only 1 volume.
Back when I played with Rob on drums, we got into situations where we really needed him to pull back. But his clock couldn't handle it.

I think it's kinda like that tempo "valley" that gives me trouble- if you don't practice in those specific areas in which you're not naturally comfortable in, you just can't play in those 'spaces', and retain your control.

Come to think of it, I've played with about 8 drummers, and only 1 or 2 had good dynamics, able to play quieter across the board, as opposed to just in certain sections of the song, if needed.

My own belief is that the nature of rock music being generally simple, affords many of us to reach a certain level, go out and start a band, and forget about continuing to practice, as a means to eventually be able to tick all/most of the "boxes."

When I was advancing as a clarinet player, every new piece of music I had to learn for my private lessons came with entirely new challenges. And then there were 'musicianship tests', increasingly difficult, that focused on many more things beyond just being a good player. One part I remember getting to, (at about the time I quit), was ear training, where you had to be able to identify, by ear, 2-note intervals, first played separately, then together.

I got through the 'separate' part by tying those intervals to opening notes of popular songs (e.g., some where over the rainbow...), but played together...? :facepalm

I just don't see that sort of correlation with the music that I assume most of "us" play. And to be completely fair, it's certainly not needed to be successful as a musician, using whatever definition of 'success' you desire.

Back