what mixer do I need for live shows and recording?

sleewell

Roadie
so were having DIY shows at our rehearsal spot. i wanted to record the shows but we don't wanna send all of the channels out to the PA. I only want the vocal mic inputs and the kick drum going through the PA but we want to record all of the inputs if that makes any sense.

what sort of mixer would you recommend for this?

thanks!!!

I have a Tascam Model 12 (also comes in 16 and 24 channel) and it has onboard recording to SD card slot in addition to USB C connection to also record on your DAW. Gives me options on where to record (DAW, on Model 12 or both) and what to record (send these two channels to FOH but don't record them, record all others on SD, then record only Main out on DAW, etc.).

I do like the idea though of that X Air being controlled on a tablet and that unit should certainly cover your use case (though I do not know if it has onboard recording)!

Both of those are great options. I have a Model 12 here at home. No Bluetooth
on the Tascam, so no remote way to mix it like you can on the X Air stuff. Like
you said, MW.

Basically, you want a build something like what Sungazer is using for their IEM system. A PreSonus StudioLive 24R with ART mic splitters. PreSonus also has a 16-channel version for less money.

The XAir 18 is an EXCELLENT choice. We actually use these on a lot of the smaller high profile gigs here and given the chance, I will bring a laptop and record the show as well. The onlly real issue with these for me is the channel count. If I need more its tricky. The X32 rack is a good alternative, as is the Mackie DL32R in that case. In between those sizes, and if you want physical faders, the Allen and Heath QU24 can be cool

All of these use the same USB drivers as the most expensive audio interfaces aside from RME

I have a Behringer XR18 as well. I haven't gone as far as recording anything with it but it has been a great tool as an IEM and FoH mixer

have you ever bought anything on this site?? seems sus
I bought a pedal from that site. Always check the store's reviews. On scam stores you'll notice mostly fake 5 star reviews and reports of scams from what look like legit people.

This is from the seller you linked:
Screenshot_20240326_143722_Chrome.jpg

I have an iPhone. It doesn't do a great job. In fact, I don't recommend you use one for this. But, I was feeling left out so...

Don’t own/ use one myself…but I run into those behringer mixers in the wild a lot…seem decent, with happy users on their iPad.

AliExpress is commonly used site in my country, and I think the whole of EU. Mostly for Uber cheap stuff, chibsons, and indeed other counterfeit stuff. You will see adds with the original…buy…and get a fake product.

There are also sellers selling legit products on their…I assume the case when marketed explicitly with a brandname. Ime experience they have a decent dispuut program…but..it’s a hassle.

For small stuff like poweradapters, phone assecoires, toys it’s a good source if you can allow long delivery times. For more expensive stuff I’d like to pay a bit extra and have a dealer on shore.

Back