What is your holy grail modeler clean tone?

miggelblast

As the title says.

How do you use it and why is it so good? Settings allowed!

Me: US Princess in HX Stomp with the renewed stock cab.

I think it has a pleasant compression when run clean compared to Deluxe or Twin models in Helix. Mainly use it for surf stuff with Surfybear Metal before the amp.

Can't check the settings right now.

When I feel like getting clean I usually think of UA Ruby or Dream65. I can’t really pick favorite settings because both of them offer a wide range of great sounding possibilities.

Last edited:
Helix, Essex A30. Drive 4, Bass 2, Cut 2, Treble and Presence 6, Master 10, biased a little hotter (7.5) run into my usual suspect cabs/IRs (Creamback 1x12 or Greenback 2x12). Usually with a compressor up front.

I like this amp model with humbuckers in split mode, it seems to make them sound nice and stratty to my ear. Neck humbucker is nice too in either series or parallel.

Funk, Jazz, RnB context.

On its own probably Helix Princess with the Deluxe 112 cab. Its too stark of a difference for me though with the dirt amp I usually use so I use Placater clean and Dirty with the same blackback 30 412 and the transition is perfect other than volume jumps

No idea what this was besides a Mesa tone on a Kemper. Loved this stuff, it was so good. Random drum jammy 4-5 years ago.

Mesa Lonestar model with its matching 2x12 cab with a compressor in front and a juicy plate reverb.

Helix, Essex A30. Drive 4, Bass 2, Cut 2, Treble and Presence 6, Master 10, biased a little hotter (7.5) run into my usual suspect cabs/IRs (Creamback 1x12 or Greenback 2x12). Usually with a compressor up front.

I like this amp model with humbuckers in split mode, it seems to make them sound nice and stratty to my ear. Neck humbucker is nice too in either series or parallel.

Funk, Jazz, RnB context.

+1 for the Essex 30. I run mine into a couple of Ownhammer IRs - same cab, position, but different mics. 2x12 Celestion alnico silver with a um70 doing most of the work and a 121 snuck in about 6dB lower for some low end girth. (I also run the bass higher but I'm mostly using fairly bright pickups - T Tops, filtertrons, strat singles.

Even as an Axe three users No modeler can hold a candle to a real Dumble clean in the room no fx. BUT in a recording you can’t tell the difference.

Like Dbagchee I usually use the Cali Texas (Lonestar) in Helix. The Grammatico GSG clean with the EV Open Back and/or 65 Open back in the new cabs sounds great as well. Try the JNC (Cordy) presets for the GSG if you have Helix/HX, not the scream that's all ODS/HRM Dumble-ish tones.

I'm in the office today so I can't see my settings.

ETA: On Helix/HX - Shiva Clean if you want just a little bit of pushed clean sound is good as well.

Last edited:
Holy grail clean tone was that 4x10 Fender deluxe reverb something or other I plugged into at random GC one day on vacation a few years ago. Some vague modeler through a headrush turd has zero chance in h#ll of comparing to the unexpected glory I got that day :love

For pristine cleans the Plini plug is hard to beat. For washy stuff the SLO plug is my favorite.

I quite liked the Shiva model on the QC with some compression and a subtle dual delay with a plate verb.

Holy grail clean tone was that 4x10 Fender deluxe reverb something or other I plugged into at random GC one day on vacation a few years ago. Some vague modeler through a headrush turd has zero chance in h#ll of comparing to the unexpected glory I got that day :love
And the best car I ever drove was a Porsche, but the OP is looking for your favorite beverage.

Back