What is the FINAL ABSOLUTE BEST MIAB pedal?

Loved the EHX OD Glove when I had it

I bought the Golden Plexi also because of this video. Didn't dissapoint - but I don't think it's among the best, at least not really, because it lacks a certain tonal flexibility to work well in all kinda contexts (and with many amps). The tone control IMO is not particularly useful as it can get harsh or dull quickly in case you move away too far from center position in either direction and when running it through a thick sounding clean amp, chances are you'll experience a little low end flubbyness.
Personally, should I buy another MIAB pedal (I also have a Friedman BE-OD already), it will at least have treble and bass controls, ideally a full BMT tonestack. Quite important in case you don't want to sacrifice whatever your clean sound might be.

Last edited:
I loved my MI Audio Super Crunchbox v2. Should’ve never sold it. I thought guvnors sound way better than Bluesbreaker pedals I’ve tried.

Last edited:
Not to be THAT guy, but there’s no be-all-end-all MIAB pedal. These pedals are generally tuned to work with 1 or 2 common clean amp circuits. If you’re seriously looking for a this type of pedal make sure you research what it was designed to work with amp wise, if you can find that info.

I’ve had KILLER results with the Bogner Blue into a Deluxe Reverb, sounds like someone added a Marshall crunch channel to that amp, not joking or exaggerating. That same pedal into my Superlead is interesting, but gets a little too compressed if the amp has any breakup happening. IMO the Blue wants to see a mostly clean amp.

Alternately, I have a Lovepedal JMP11 that I don’t really love through the Deluxe Reverb, but it KILLS in front of my Superlead, as I can run the amp at edge of breakup, get crunch with the pedal on, and a great lead sound when the pedal’s boost is engaged. Not what I was expecting but I’ve kept that pedal around because it does that trick so well and sounds VERY close to the Superlead run hotter.

My only real advice with picking a MIAB pedal is to buy something that lets some clean signal through if you are using it with an overdriven amp, otherwise things get very compressed.

Last edited:
There are a couple of MIAB pedals that I’d still like to try, but these cover all the Marshall goodness that I crave…the Weehbo JCM Drive would probably be my tops of what’s on my board with the Bogner Blue right behind it…I dig them all for different yet similar tones…
IMG_0343.jpeg

I bought the Room #40. Let's see how it sounds through my 2555 when it gets here. Next thread will probably be: The FINAL ABSOLUTE BEST speakers for Marshalls :rofl :rofl

Here's a slightly different twist on the original post: what's the absolute best tube-based MIAB preamp pedal? There's a bunch of transistor-based ones that sound great, and also a few digital ones. What are the best options based on tubes? @Blix mentioned the PlexiVibe. The Friedman IR-X is tube based but, as far as I understand, it does not sound like a vintage Plexi.

And also, since I never tried a tube-based preamp, is a tube-based MIAB pedal into IR+"FRFR" going to feel different from a modeler into IR+"FRFR"? Please understand... I am trying to convince myself I need one, but something in my brain is telling me I don't...

Here's a slightly different twist on the original post: what's the absolute best tube-based MIAB preamp pedal? There's a bunch of transistor-based ones that sound great, and also a few digital ones. What are the best options based on tubes? @Blix mentioned the PlexiVibe. The Friedman IR-X is tube based but, as far as I understand, it does not sound like a vintage Plexi.

And also, since I never tried a tube-based preamp, is a tube-based MIAB pedal into IR+"FRFR" going to feel different from a modeler into IR+"FRFR"? Please understand... I am trying to convince myself I need one, but something in my brain is telling me I don't...
IMO and IME a processor -> monitor will sound better but an analog preamp -> monitor will feel better.

Back