What is meant by "thin" microphone placement on a speaker ?

PLX

Shredder
TGF Champion
I've got some IR's that use the terminology "Balanced", "Fat", "Dark", "Bright" & "Thin".

I can find images that show all these mic placements in relation to a speaker cone.. except for "Thin".

:unsure:

I've got some IR's that use the terminology "Balanced", "Fat", "Dark", "Bright" & "Thin".

I can find images that show all these mic placements in relation to a speaker cone.. except for "Thin".

:unsure:
Probably corresponds with the location on the speaker cone that gives the “thinnest” or most anemic tone. Perhaps near the center of the dust cap?

Probably corresponds with the location on the speaker cone that gives the “thinnest” or most anemic tone. Perhaps near the center of the dust cap?
Center of the cap ?

I found images like this that show "Bright" & "Dark"..

ZWoYY0V.jpg

Last edited:
I meant to type center of the speaker near the dust cap.
Yeah, no.. I got you. (y)

I just can't find that's what Celestion means by their own terminology with their IR's

Their site describes "6 mic positions" but does not show what/where these are.

Yeah, no.. I got you. (y)

I just can't find that's what Celestion means by their own terminology with their IR's

Their site describes "6 mic positions" but does not show what/where these are.
Do the “thin” IR’s sound brighter than “bright?”

Yea thin would be intentionally off axis of a mic to get a thinner sound than full on axis. Try this with a mic on a speaker and you’ll instantly hear the difference. Use a 57 or similar. IMO rarely a useful sound on its own but can work to tame a secondary mic on a source.

Could be it's dead center but several inches away. That would tone down proximity bass for something like an SM57 and thin it out really
Yeah, it was just an IR I used to blend with another IR to get a sound.

Back