What Guitarists Have You Seen Live?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
So I got the idea from theotherplace, but changed it slightly. I'll probably forget some, but here's mine...

John Petrucci, 6x's- 4 w/ DT, 1 with just him and Jordan, and 1 solo just recently
Matt Bellamy
Alex Lifeson, 3x's
David Gilmour, twice, same tour
Eddie Van Halen, 3x's
Billy Gibbons
Steve Vai
Yngwie Malmsteen
Joe Satriani
Michael Wilton
Steve Morse
Rory Gallagher
Andy Taylor
Trevor Rabin, twice
Steve Howe
Howard Leese
Nancy Wilson
Joe Perry
Brad Whitford
Andy Summers
Neal Schon
Jake E Lee
Nuno Bettencourt
Paul Gilbert
Stanley Jordan

Edit: Forgot
Junior Brown
Ty Tabor

Last edited:
Oh god. Too many lol. Been fortunate enough to meet most of my heroes, too. Blessed enough to play with one or two of them.

Damn, by the time I’m done this list my hangover might be over. Gonna try to go from first to last, I’m skipping a few of the smaller/less-noteworthy names and only the ones I had an interest in. I did not have an interest in Breaking Benjamin, so whoever the f*ck his guitarist is I dunno. :rofl

Gilmour
Adrian Legg
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Rick Neilsen
Dean DeLeo
Chris DeGarmo
Michael Wilton
John Petrucci
Steve Morse
Mike Einziger
Head
Munky
Larry LaLonde
Buckethead
Dimebag
Kerry King
Jeff Hanneman
Gary Holt
Dino Cazares
Greg Tribbet (Mudvayne)
Max Calvera
Adam D. (Killswitch)
Joel S. (Killswitch)
Johnny Winter
Buck Darma
The other dude from the original BOC lineup
Ritchie Castellano, but never in BOC
Andy Laroque
Adam Jones
Clint Lowery (Sevendust)
Devin Townsend
John5
Synyster Gates
Whatever the other dude from A7X’s name is
James Hetfield
Kirk Hammett
Rob Flynn
Mark Morton
Willie Adler
Brent Hinds
Bill Kelliher
Ty Tabor
Larry Mitchell
Dave Mustaine
Chris Broderick
Scott Ian
Jon Donais
Olli from All That Remains
Rob Caggiano
Jim Root
Mick Thompson
Josh Rand
The dude from Disturbed
Jerry Cantrell
Satchel
Zakk Wylde

I feel like I’m forgetting some but I think that’s mostly due to excluding a bunch of smaller bands like Orgy or Nothingface or Five Finger Fart Box. I’ve been to a bunch of festival shows, every couple minutes I’m remembering another one that should be obvious to me. Out of all of them, I’m most grateful for Gilmour because that really started this all, I’m not sure I would have even ended up on this forum if it weren’t for that show making me want to play guitar so badly.

Some of those guys I’ve seen a bunch; Korn, AIC, Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage and Petrucci I’ve seen no less than 6 shows by any of those bands. I love going to concerts!

Edit- I was right, my hangover is barely there anymore!

Last edited:
Damn, by the time I’m done this list my hangover might be over. Gonna try to go from first to last, I’m skipping a few of the smaller/less-noteworthy names and only the ones I had an interest in. I did not have an interest in Breaking Benjamin, so whoever the f*ck his guitarist is I dunno. :rofl

Gilmour
Adrian Legg
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Rick Neilsen
Dean DeLeo
Chris DeGarmo
Michael Wilton
John Petrucci
Steve Morse
Mike Einziger
Head
Munky
Larry LaLonde
Buckethead
Dimebag
Kerry King
Jeff Hanneman
Gary Holt
Dino Cazares
Greg Tribbet (Mudvayne)
Max Calvera
Adam D. (Killswitch)
Joel S. (Killswitch)
Johnny Winter
Buck Darma
The other dude from the original BOC lineup
Ritchie Castellano, but never in BOC
Andy Laroque
Adam Jones
Clint Lowery (Sevendust)
Devin Townsend
John5
Synyster Gates
Whatever the other dude from A7X’s name is
James Hetfield
Kirk Hammett
Rob Flynn
Mark Morton
Willie Adler
Brent Hinds
Bill Kelliher
Ty Tabor
Larry Mitchell
Dave Mustaine
Chris Broderick
Scott Ian
Jon Donais
Olli from All That Remains
Rob Caggiano
Jim Root
Mick Thompson
Josh Rand
The dude from Disturbed
Jerry Cantrell
Satchel
Zakk Wylde

I feel like I’m forgetting some but I think that’s mostly due to excluding a bunch of smaller bands like Orgy or Nothingface or Five Finger Fart Box. I’ve been to a bunch of festival shows, every couple minutes I’m remembering another one that should be obvious to me. Out of all of them, I’m most grateful for Gilmour because that really started this all, I’m not sure I would have even ended up on this forum if it weren’t for that show making me want to play guitar so badly.

Some of those guys I’ve seen a bunch; Korn, AIC, Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage and Petrucci I’ve seen no less than 6 shows by any of those bands. I love going to concerts!
I get that. The ones on my unlisted list that I’m most beside myself about are the ones from when I was learning to play. Shaking Joe Satriani’s hand I almost wanted to vomit I was so nervous at an in store signing. Same with Steve Vai. Then others on your list like Andy Laroque just bring back really good memories of shows here in NYC with King Diamond. One or two on your list I really admired their playing but didnt think much of their personality. Megadeth with Marty Friedman I saw in a club here back then, too. That was like going to church. Amazing guitar playing and Nick Menza was incredible (and I dont think I can name 5 drummers I find ‘incredible’, especially in rock/metal). Now with social media a lot of these guys are more accessible than they ever were, so being able to get (hopefully positive) interactions is pretty awesome. I know I’ve definitely appreciated that in the past, too.

This is not a list of my favorite guitarists, although some of these are on that list, too.
There are definitely more, but these are the ones who come readily to mind.

Jimmy Page
Johnny Winter
John Fogerty
Leslie West
Mark Farner
Carlos Santana
Johnny Rivers
Frank Zappa
Jimi Hendrix
Duane Allman
Dickie Betts
George Benson
Cal Collins
John McLaughlin
Al DiMeola
Frank Gambale
Paul Barrere
Leo Nocentelli
Lee Ritenour
Pat Martino
Martin Barre
Ted Nugent
Karl Ratzer
Mike Gallaher
Brad Whitford
Terry Kath
Steve Morse
Herb Ellis
Dweezil Zappa
Edit: Andy Timmons - forgot about him. He's local, and I've only seen him in very small venues.

Last edited:
I’ll add to those not listed yet …

Duke Ellington… err, ah right…

Leo Kottke and
Pat Metheny

Many others.

I thought it might be able to sneak Adrian Legg in there but see that Drew has also enjoyed a little banjo tuner shenanigans…

I haven’t been to a ton of concerts and it would be hard to think of everyone, I think. But more of the notable ones would be:

Billy Gibbons (x3)
Joe Perry
Zakk Wylde
Joe Walsh
Paul Gilbert
Pete Townshend
Alex Lifeson
Phil Collen
Roger Waters
Neal Schon
Dweezil Zappa
Kenny Wayne Shephard
Buddy Guy
Johnny Lang
John Petrucci
Tommy Shaw
Rick Nielsen
Tim Sult
The Edge
Andy Timmons

The guitarists that stand out in my mind of the vast numbers that I’ve seen are…
Tony Iommi
Michael Schenker
Uli Jon Roth
David Gilmour
Angus Young

I get that. The ones on my unlisted list that I’m most beside myself about are the ones from when I was learning to play. Shaking Joe Satriani’s hand I almost wanted to vomit I was so nervous at an in store signing. Same with Steve Vai. Then others on your list like Andy Laroque just bring back really good memories of shows here in NYC with King Diamond. One or two on your list I really admired their playing but didnt think much of their personality. Megadeth with Marty Friedman I saw in a club here back then, too. That was like going to church. Amazing guitar playing and Nick Menza was incredible (and I dont think I can name 5 drummers I find ‘incredible’, especially in rock/metal). Now with social media a lot of these guys are more accessible than they ever were, so being able to get (hopefully positive) interactions is pretty awesome. I know I’ve definitely appreciated that in the past, too.

Meeting Vai was a big thing for me, it was at the height of my Vai fanboy days and I totally punished the guy. (overzealous fans are often referred to as punishers) It was at Irving Plaza, I saw him get out of a cab and I just rushed him. I had a copy of the setlist but no pen or anything, you could tell he was a little "I'm not even out of the f*ckin' cab yet, kid" but I was too busy sh*tting my pants that I was standing next to him. He also didn't have a pen but said not to worry, he'd be back down.

A little time passes and he walked into the box office at the venue and I immediately ran in, with pen in hand and when I handed him the setlist he said "Where did you get this?" kind of annoyed/surprised by the fact it was already known, I told him Jemsite and he just nodded. I can take credit for being the kid who taught Vai that nothing is secret on the internet. :ROFLMAO: While not a lot was said, I was immediately surprised at how small he seemed. The dude was rail thin and didn't seem all that tall and he seemed so human.

IMG_3202.JPG

I actually felt a little bummed out. He was perfectly fine and very kind, had nothing to do with his personality, but I thought I was going to meet this God, not some regular human. On the way home I was dwelling on it and it turned into a really good thing because I realized he indeed a regular human, he just had an extreme passion for what he does and busted his ass to get to his level of skill and if he could do it, then there was no reason I couldn't. While I've never applied myself fully to one instrument, it's entirely that mentality that's allowed me to get to whatever level of skill I currently have across what I do play.

Eddie Van Halen
David Gilmour
Jeff Beck
Alex Lifeson
Allan Holdsworth
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Steve Morse
John Petrucci
Eric Johnson
Andy Timmons
Yngwie Malmsteen
Buckethead
Neal Schon
Frank Gambale
Pat Metheny
Michael Hedges
Stanley Jordan
Peppino D’Agostino
Steve Howe
Trevor Rabin
Tony MacAlpine
Al Dimeola
Uli Jon Roth
Ted Nugent
Ty Tabor
Angus Young
“Tuck” Andress
David Grissom
Robben Ford
Doug Doppler
Adrian Belew
Robert Fripp
Steven Wilson
John Wesley
Jesse Gress

Last edited:
Eddie Van Halen
David Gilmour
Alex Lifeson
Allan Holdsworth
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Steve Morse
John Petrucci
Eric Johnson
Andy Timmons
Yngwie Malmsteen
Buckethead
Neal Schon
Frank Gambale
Pat Metheny
Michael Hedges
Stanley Jordan
Peppino D’Agostino
Steve Howe
Trevor Rabin
Tony MacAlpine
Al Dimeola
Uli Jon Roth
Ted Nugent
Ty Tabor
Angus Young
“Tuck” Andress
David Grissom
Doug Doppler
Adrian Belew
Robert Fripp
Steven Wilson
John Wesley

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.
So that’s about 10% then? lol ;)

(EJ fucked up my right ear)

Cant Hear Baby Boomers GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Ill have to get back to you on that ive seen so many have to correlate it all and then list them :idea

Ok ok, dumb idea. Which ones were the most memorable?

For me, a couple were Matt Bellamy and Yngwie.

YJM because he was SOOO boring after the 1st couple songs. It was at G3, so in a theater in DC, so I went and got a drink and chatted with some people in the lobby area.

Matt otoh, was SO impressive in that he played riffs totally unlike what he was singing, yet his hands seemed to be on autopilot. Running down the catwalk while playing the solo in Hysteria. Dude RULED that stage! Best overall concert ever, edging out Pink Floyd, because of the whole production. It was massive! Muse puts on a SHOW!

Oh and I had to pinch myself watching John Petrucci so close that at times I could've leaned in and touched his guitar. And those glorious-sounding JPIIC's were pointed straight at me! Easily my favorite show.

I couldn’t even begin to list them all… but these are the ones that are the most memorable and had the biggest impact on me:
  • My mom
    • Watching her perform is what inspired me to want to pick up the instrument
  • Dave Beegle
    • A local guy, I was so impressed with his creativity and how clean he played. It was the first time I’d ever seen a player of that caliber play live in front of me.
  • Kyle Malone
    • Another local guy. Professor of jazz studies. Watching the way ideas flowed from him while he played was hugely inspirational to me. I’ll never forget sitting in a little jazz club watching him improvise a solo while scatting all the same lines vocally at the same time. I was enthralled.
  • Some French guy who’s name I don’t know…
    • This classical guitarist came from France as a guest clinician at my college. I don’t remember his name, but his command of the instrument is something I’ll never forget. I watched him sight read pieces that masters level guitar students had spent a whole semester learning as if he were reading a children’s book (to help give them advice on their performances). The first thing I saw him do was pull his guitar out of the flight case straight off the plane, strum all 6 strings and tune the entire thing perfectly by ear in about 5 seconds. I still to this day think it was one of the most impressive things I’ve ever seen a guitarist do live.
  • John Petrucci
    • I’ve seen him many times, but the first time was unforgettable. It was the Touring Into Infinity tour and it was surreal being there watching him play things that seemed like they shouldn’t even be possible.

I will add only the ones I've seen that are not on these list and are a Must See:

Ritchie Blackmore (x2 with DP, x3 with Rainbow, and x2 with his medieval wife) No one? seriously? :facepalm
Dave Murray / Adrian Smith (x9 times)
Rudolf Schenker / Matthias Jabs (x3 times)
Graham Oliver / Doug Scarrat (Saxon)
Steve Rothery (Marillion) x 8 times
Andrew Latimer (Camel)
Steve Hackett / Mike Rutherford (Genesis)
John Mitchel (Arena) x2 times
Nick Barret (Pendragon) x2 times
Vivian Campbell (with Dio)
Micky Moody / Bernie Marsden (the good old Whitesnake)

Unfortunately, not possible to see again in this world:
BB King

Last edited:
I will add only the ones I've seen that are not on these list and are a Must See:

Ritchie Blackmore...with his medieval wife) No one? seriously?
Oh man, I watched a video of his "attempt" at Highway Star. It was absolutely pathetic! And he did NOT look at all like he even wanted to do it. Like dude, people understand everyone gets to the point where you can't play like you used to, especially stuff like that, where your chops need constant upkeep. So just retire that sort of thing!

Back