What are you guys using for your "FRFR" needs?

Never blown a speaker using a guitar cab with modelers, and I’ve used a PS100, PS170, BAM200 etc to to provide power. Wouldn’t even know what to suggest unless the cab was somehow wired wrong. Maybe some sort of impedance issue? I’ve turned mine up on occasion to Live At Leeds levels and never had any issues. :idk
Wasn't there a weird thing on early versions where the outputs could get shorted out by a right angle speaker cable?

I've tried the EV ELX -112p's (older gen) and they've been the best so far. The QSC K12's I found a touch clearer, but brassy/harsh, which was really fatiguing and unpleasant.
Over on the Fractal Forums the current belle of the ball is the EV PXM-12MP, which you could probably get your hands on to try and still be able to return it if need be via Sweetwater or maybe Guitar Center? The CLR's have long been favorites, but many people are wary of exceedingly long service/ repair times.

If you are solely using it for home without having to keep up with a drummer/band, I'd go with a pair of decent studio monitors - even a budget option like the KRK Rokit's would be just fine, and far cheaper, plus give you stereo.

Around 2017/18 I ditched an Alto TS112a for a shiny new QSC K8.2 and have been rocking that for my full range needs. It's loud and light and put the Alto to shame.

Over the past couple of years I've noticed some kind of rattling inside the unit that a repair center couldn't find, and QSC kept dicking me around about it. I've concluded that it could be something in the fan/cooling/power amplifier area and just live with it. I won't be buying another QSC product.

I haven't used it for a gig since 2021 so it just sits with the rest of my PA gear. I play thru studio monitors at home if I want to play through IRs.

Never blown a speaker using a guitar cab with modelers, and I’ve used a PowerStation100, PowerStage170, BAM200 etc to to provide power. Wouldn’t even know what to suggest unless the cab was somehow wired wrong. Maybe some sort of impedance issue? I’ve turned mine up on occasion to Live At Leeds levels and never had any issues. :idk
Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue was. Perhaps my Powerstage was faulty? Maybe I used too little volume for headroom purposes for the gain I was using.

I've tried the EV ELX -112p's (older gen) and they've been the best so far. The QSC K12's I found a touch clearer, but brassy/harsh, which was really fatiguing and unpleasant.
Over on the Fractal Forums the current belle of the ball is the EV PXM-12MP, which you could probably get your hands on to try and still be able to return it if need be via Sweetwater or maybe Guitar Center? The CLR's have long been favorites, but many people are wary of exceedingly long service/ repair times.

If you are solely using it for home without having to keep up with a drummer/band, I'd go with a pair of decent studio monitors - even a budget option like the KRK Rokit's would be just fine, and far cheaper, plus give you stereo.
Yeah, anything brassy/harsh in the upper midrange and treble frequencies wouldn't really be much of an improvement over the Headrush FRFR112.

Said it before, say it again: there's absolutely nothing wrong with Powercabs. They're great "FRFR" solutions.

I just wish that line were a tad cheaper.

Yup I get that those amp EQ and cut controls are really Nice, but my Powercabs are always in the same Position i Dont gig nor do they ever leave their Position So Once setup no need to futz with anything else just my Patch whatever that may be
But I do like the Fact that Controls are on top in my PC they are in the back and Im thinking the tones are all in the Ruby Light on the Fenders
but i could be wrong
:LOL:

Coax drivers ARE nice. Powercab speaker modeling is godawful and the extra features and across the board how to best run them is a convoluted confusing mess.

I use one stereo pair of vintage 15" JBLs in soundtech cabs with the sountech tweets.Run synths and guitar models and/or guitar ADA mp2 pre amp into mixer, out to stereo power amp, out to those cabs.

Yes its getting Good Reviews , But ive mentioned that I really like the Sound dispersion of a Co Ax Driver
YMMV
Yep coax is pretty sweet. Last gig had the Yamaha DHR12Ms as monitors and the lack of beamyness was great. Or should I say sounded like less of that tweeter beam thing. Hard to describe.

Coax drivers ARE nice. Powercab speaker modeling is godawful and the extra features and across the board how to best run them is a convoluted confusing mess.
Might be Ive never tried them and dont think i ever will i Just us it as a "FRFR" monitoring solution
Ive sent Line6 an email stating how they could Improve that Line
Straight up Powercabs no IR loading, Yes can have Helix Connectivity, No Speaker Modeling, Offer an 8 inch a 10 inch and a 12 Inch
for less coin, win win

Last edited:
And Like everything else, I buy sight unseen with a return/full refund/exchange options
best place to demo and compare is my room , Ill usually know if its a keeper or a goner within a day or 2
Never tried my Helix and served me well for 3 years same with the FM9 never heard it till i plugged it and that will serve me for a long time
Powercabs were the same Never went to Demo them and all My guitars are bought without ever touching them

Might be Ive never tried them and dont think i ever will i Just us it as a "FRFR" monitoring solution
Ive sent Line6 an email stating how they could Improve that Line
Straight up Powercabs no IR loading, Yes can have Helix Connectivity, No Speaker Modeling Offer an 8 inch a 10 inch and a 12 Inch
for less coin, win win
Yeah the mode confusion, bugs in HX integration people have harped about for years, weirdness in gain staging and imle the lack of volume compared to other powered speakers just really soured me on them. A stripped down version would be great. I'd hope.

Back