What are you guys using for your "FRFR" needs?

I'm thinking about possibly replacing my Headrush FRFR112, so I'm curious what others are using. I'd like something with better highs, as the treble can get a tad harsh. The Headrush can also get boomy, so sorting that out wouldn't be bad either.

I've been thinking about either the ISP Vector FS8, Friedman ASC10, or Yahama DHR12M. Open to other options though.

The monitors at the venue

But mainly my 4x12 still does a lot of the work.

Sold my power cabs. They are OK but just not for me.

What's your budget?

Powercabs are pretty good IMHO, but slightly overpriced. They pop up on the used market all the time though, and can be a great deal.

Right now though i'm about to try Fender's new FR-12 (~$500), which looks like a great alternative.

What's your budget?

Powercabs are pretty good IMHO, but slightly overpriced. They pop up on the used market all the time though, and can be a great deal.

Right now though i'm about to try Fender's new FR-12 (~$500), which looks like a great alternative.
The Friedman is kind of pushing it, so that's my budget.

Yamaha HS8 studio monitors. I'd probably roll the dice on one of those Fender FR12's though given the price and early feedback.

Yamaha HS8 studio monitors. I'd probably roll the dice on one of those Fender FR12's though given the price and early feedback.
Studio monitors are a decent idea. That said, I don't know that they'd feel/hit right for me. Certainly an option though.

If you are using a Headrush; you are already starting from the ground up. If you want a guitar cab experience but be able to run IRs; the F12 loaded in a 112 with a power amp is great. The Tech21 Power Enginges are supposed to be a really good (older) traditional cab-like options. The Mustang GT is great bang for the buck for this as well. The FR12 is awesome so far. All the controls I would want onboard for tweaking at a gig while still translating things to other sources quite nicely.

Other than that; you have all sorts of powered monitors but I gave up on those a long time ago. No fun. The QSc stuff and Yamaha are supposed to be great. The RCF and CLR would be the top end stuff I'd look at if you were going for a PA speaker.

I've been using Atomic CLRs for 10.5 years now (previously a MkI, now a Neo MkII since 11/2016). Never let me down once. If I couldn't use my CLR, the EV PXM-12MP would be my 2nd choice.

I'm thinking about possibly replacing my Headrush FRFR112, so I'm curious what others are using. I'd like something with better highs, as the treble can get a tad harsh. The Headrush can also get boomy, so sorting that out wouldn't be bad either.

I've been thinking about either the ISP Vector FS8, Friedman ASC10, or Yahama DHR12M. Open to other options though.

There is a corrective EQ curve a user made for the Headrush that makes a massive difference. It's significant,
and maybe worth a shot, before we all help you spend some of your $$.

If you have access to a 5 band Parametric EQ somewhere in the chain these are the settings for correcting
the Headrush and making it a true flatter response playback system.

1696609485726.png

Kudos to WKSmith at the Fractal Forum for doing the heavy lifting and sharing his work.

If you are using a Headrush; you are already starting from the ground up. If you want a guitar cab experience but be able to run IRs; the F12 loaded in a 112 with a power amp is great. The Tech21 Power Enginges are supposed to be a really good (older) traditional cab-like options. The Mustang GT is great bang for the buck for this as well. The FR12 is awesome so far. All the controls I would want onboard for tweaking at a gig while still translating things to other sources quite nicely.

Other than that; you have all sorts of powered monitors but I gave up on those a long time ago. No fun. The QSc stuff and Yamaha are supposed to be great. The RCF and CLR would be the top end stuff I'd look at if you were going for a PA speaker.
I could possibly find a Power Engine used on Reverb, GC, etc maybe.

If you have access to a 5 band Parametric EQ somewhere in the chain these are the settings for correcting
the Headrush and making it a true flatter response playback system.

View attachment 11631

Kudos to WKSmith at the Fractal Forum for doing the heavy lifting and sharing his work.
I have one on my Two Notes. I have the last EQ set so that above 6-7khz is attenuated quite a bit. Otherwise the high end was gross.

I could possibly find a Power Engine used on Reverb, GC, etc maybe.

It might be a step backwards for you? Not sure what your goals are over the Headrush you have currently? Maybe try the eq correction suggested above to see if that addresses problems you may be having with it?
Not only that, but the Power Engine is a strange bird. It's not FR nor FR, and it doesn't have a tweeter, but it also doesn't JUST sound like a guitar cab.

I'd say the driver is "extended range", but it's closer to a "normal" guitar speaker than a full range device.

Not only that, but the Power Engine is a strange bird. It's not FR nor FR, and it doesn't have a tweeter, but it also doesn't JUST sound like a guitar cab.

I'd say the driver is "extended range", but it's closer to a "normal" guitar speaker than a full range device.
I was hoping you'd chime in! :beer

I just want it to sound like a cabinet with IRs and not be gross in the low end or ear fatigue harsh in the upper midrange and treble. I hear good things about the CLR, Friedman, and EV.

Back