Vox VTX line

ragingplatypi

Roadie
Say what you want about the Andertons/Rob Chapman clickbait videos, but I generally find them entertaining and sometimes informative. This one has been haunting me:

The reason is that a few years ago I had the same experience with a Vox VTX amp. I went to a GC and rolled through all the budget amps. I was perplexed by how good the Vox sounded and at the same time knew I wouldn’t buy it. Wall wart power, lack of gigable features and it felt like if I looked at it the wrong way bits of plastic and tolex would start flaking off.

Has anyone seen one of these outside a store? Anyone have any idea what’s going on with the cabinet design and if would actually project in a gig?

Last edited:
I had the VTX 20 watt combo for a while. It was interesting on some of the lower and mid gain tones but the crunch and higher gain area was a miss for me - probably because of the small combo honestly.

I ended up giving it to a friends daughter who was just starting up on guitar.

If you were going to chase a vox modeling amp, look for the original blue ones from the 90s/early 2000s - the valve reactor circuit in those was legit and those amp sound/feel very good. The VTX series might have a tube but I’m pretty sure its basically a pilot light.

Can’t speak for the VTX but certainly will scream
AD120 VTH Valvetronix.
That’s a rad amp man.
The Octaver in that amp is the best Octaver in the world,seriously💯
So good with the neck pickup.
Rad amp, -run it with a Alnico Gold X H30 FTW.
I played that amp out for a solid year and then it melted itself down to a steaming plastic pile of gnub.
The proprietary Vox speaker’s are not too happenin’
V-30’s were very good with that amp also.

Last edited:
I’m not in the market. I loved the old Valvetronix stuff, but moved on to the Helix-verse. I’m more curious about this crappy little VTX amp that somehow isn’t crappy when you’re sitting right next to it. I know they did something untraditional with the cabinet because it’s got a small speaker but sounds much bigger.
But “melting down into a steaming pile of plastic gnub” is definitely what I imagine this one would do.

I still play ad60 and 120 vtx combos as well as the ad120 vth(head) with the matching box 4-12 stereo neo cab and the vt300 valvetronix combo stack and still think that the majority is models sound excellent

I used to jam thru my buddies gothed out Vox modeling combo when we were young. I remember it sounding really good. It was an oversized 1x12 IIRC

Back