Tried a new Hot Mod JMP recording. Mind listening and giving an opinion on the tones?

riffy

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist

Love to know what you think of the tones. I don't know if they are good or not.
My ears seem kinda fried today.

You can be critical as heck, it won't hurt my feelings!

G

Sounds good to me. The only thing I can mention to try/add is something like a little top frequency boost with an eq or something similar. Seemed to lack a top end sparkle, unless you were going for a tone without that but really splitting hairs at that point...

Sounds killer to me, man!

Not trying to diminish the constructive critiques of the other guys, but ya really don’t gotta worry about the little EQ tweaks until you’ve got all the instruments sitting in a mix. You can take that same tone now, drop it into 50 different songs, find out it works perfectly for 30 of them and then need various tweaks to the remaining 20. It’s all contingent on what else is going on in the mix, right down to the tempo of the song.

This is precisely why any presets I use to record with are considered to be in a ‘liquid state’, they’re always going to change depending on the song. The core of the sound/feel will be there, but the stuff that makes them fit in a track can only be determined with everything else in place.

The guitar is too loud. There may be harsh freqs, but it may sit in the mix OK with the guitar level down a few dBs. Just my amateur opinion.

I agree with this. The tones are outstanding but I was struggling to hear the backing.
Maybe try putting the drums and bass in the middle of the mix and then pan the guitar more to a side?

Last edited:
I didn't have bass in it. Just guitar and the drums.

Thank you guys!

sounds fine to me, I'd back the gain down a bit personally but maybe there are other riffs/parts that might want that level of gain.

Back