Tire Chains. All You Snow-Dwellers Get In Here!

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
As a California boy, I'm a bit of a snow newb. We're going up to the mountains next week and the Mrs. asked me to look into tire chains. As much experience as I have with driving, 100% of my driving has not been in snowy conditions. What do I need to focus on/watch out for? Are chains from Amazon a good/bad idea? We Have a Honda Odyssey if that matters.

As a former California boy transplanted to Colorado ~3 years ago I can potentially help or completely misguide you with my own lack of experience. :ROFLMAO:
  • Is the Odyssey front wheel drive? If so that's good. Only need chains on the wheels that are powered by the drive train
  • I'm assuming you're heading up to Tahoe or similar - generally the roads are pretty good until you get nearer the summit - a lot of times chains are only required for a relatively short stretch, so if they are required you pull off to the side in the designated area, get them on, and then end up having to take them off after 5 miles (yes it's annoying)
  • When you get to your destination you may find you need to put them back on just to get in or out of a parking lot and then take them off when you get back on the main road as usually main roads are plowed but not all driveways/parking lots will be (also annoying)
  • Practice putting them on at home
  • Amazon is probably fine - I always preferred this type as they are pretty easy to get on and off and they lasted multiple trips into the Sierras:
  • Definitely bring them with you, otherwise if you end up needing them on the mountain you'll be out $200
  • Keep plenty of space from the cars around and try to avoid sudden braking and acceleration

Les Schwab Tire Center, which are scattered throughout the West including California used to have a policy where you could buy chains and return them if not used.

Main thing when driving in snow is to slow way down, especially if you're running all season tires. Also good to carry sand bags for extra weight in the back and can be used for traction under the tires if you get stuck on ice.

Where are you going in Calif? I live on the 108 corridor and ski every weekend.
Rent a 4wd or pay someone to put your chains on would be my choice if I did not have a worthy Mt vehicle. I have a Tacoma I rarely need to put in 4wd, and my wife's hybrid Rav 4 handles even better in the snow so we NEVER chain up

Yesterday it was 60* on the MT skiing however we have 1-2 feet of snow coming -thankfully!

Thanks, all.
Is the Odyssey front wheel drive? If so that's good. Only need chains on the wheels that are powered by the drive train
Yes, it is, and that makes sense.

heading up to Tahoe
bingo
and then end up having to take them off after 5 miles (yes it's annoying
i might just get really good at taking them off/putting on then lol

Rent a 4wd or pay someone to put your chains on would be my choice if I did not have a worthy Mt vehicle.
It's only Tahoe, so it's not that adventurous. Last time i came up I didn't even think about chains and was okay. It was a little later in the season, tho. There's 5 of us and all of our stuff so taking our minivan is the most economical choice, plus if there's gonna be on/off/on/off, i'd better learn do DIY!

Southern CA born and raised checking in.

Good advice above, will just add: when you get to the snow, get somewhere without many obstacles, like an empty parking lot so you can
Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Try to get the car loose, like do some donuts, cut the wheel hard, hit the brakes. This is good for a few reasons 1. You learn how maneuvers in the car affect the ability for the car to maintain traction, i.e. don't do donuts, cut the wheel hard or slam on the brakes when you're on the highway. 2. You get a feeling of how get out of a slide and back to traction, i.e. the feel of turning INTO a slide is NOT instinctual but its what you have to do when you've lost traction in the snow. 3. Both of these give you the confidence to know that even if you momentarily lose traction, you know how to get it back, reducing panic if/when it does happen.

Lastly I will say: just because the chains aren't required, doesn't mean its safe / all clear. Be aware of black ice, which looks like wet road, but is the slickest surface up there. Keep it slow, use pullouts for the people who have the setup for sh!tty driving conditions, and be safe!

Oh and have fun up there!

If there's anything on the road surface (ice/snow/wet), and it's at/below freezing, get in the habit of taking your foot off the gas when going over bridges, since they freeze before road surfaces. Keep an eye on the temps for this reason.

Snow that has melted in the daytime tends to re-freeze overnight. Beware.

Drive in snow like you have an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Slow down before you begin your turns. Iow, try not to do much braking in the turn. Remember that AWD/4WD only helps with acceleration, not stopping. And allow extra space between you and other vehicles.

And if you don't have much experience driving on a snow-covered highway, just stay in the lane that's clearer (more recently plowed.)

All sound advice here.

I have also gotten very, very good and planning for the weather. I live in the burbs. I haven't had to be in my car after a snow but before the roads were cleared in at least five years. Not everyone has that option, but more do than would acknowledge it. I do find that snow tires make a big difference if you're driving in snow enough.

Lifelong Minnesotan and I’ve never used or seen anyone use chains. Winter tires are game changing if you frequently drive in snow and ice especially with a light weight vehicle. Not sure about chains though.

My advice is to be slow but steady, momentum can be your friend or enemy. Avoid quick acceleration or braking because that’s what causes spin outs or getting stuck. Also if you can pack a small scoop shovel in case you get stuck that’s a help too. Clear the area around the tires.

Lifelong Minnesotan and I’ve never used or seen anyone use chains.
Yea, growing up in Canada it was a rarity. But in California: super common. Absolutely destroys the roads. But given you can drive from 90F to -10F degree in a few hours I think it makes sense. Snow tires are too temperature-specific if your driving up to Tahoe for the weekend from the Bay Area. Bay Area temps are too warm for snows and you'll lose all the rubber to the road super fast.

I'd see if you can rent a car with winter tires.

Over here in Finland it's mandated by law that you need to use winter tires on your car between November and March.
Same here up in Québec

Never used chains in Colorado om a personal vehicle :idk

When I used to drive a truck delivering milk/icecream to grocery stores on a mountain route would have to chain up from time to time. It sucks ass

When you leaving, Alex? The present time weather looks like no time to be heading up to
the Mountains. To me. :idk

Back