The unofficial Synth section

Gearzilla

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
bobs-burgers-commercial.gif

I was just talking to my dad tonight about forking over his Kurzweil K2000 and his K2600 rack. As dated as they are, I LOVE the sounds in them and with the K2000, I can feel like I’m Rick Wright. I’ve got a Korg Triton rack, the first one I believe. There’s one sound in it I LOVE; it’s the sound Derek Sherinian uses on the intro the “Lines In The Sand”, my favorite synth sound of all time. That dude had some pretty sick sounds.

I recently got the Korg Wavestate, a really cool little wave sequencing sample based keyboard.
Korg also do "Native" software versions of their synths too,
so you get to try the full unrestricted setups on a 10 minute demo timeout.
Both ae great for doing soundtrack/soundscape type stuff.

has anyone fucked around with an arturia microfreak?

i am thinking about buying one to mess around with for intros and outros and ambient stuff.

edit: we cant cuss here lololol sorry.

has anyone f****d around with an arturia microfreak?

i am thinking about buying one to mess around with for intros and outros and ambient stuff.

edit: we cant cuss here lololol sorry.

I have one. I had two at one point. Here's a couple videos running it through the FM3.

Full disclosure: I'm a beta tester for Arturia.

that sounds killer, thanks!!!!

is that what you would recommend for a noob looking to get into something cheaply or is there anything else i should consider?

that sounds killer, thanks!!!!

is that what you would recommend for a noob looking to get into something cheaply or is there anything else i should consider?

MicroFreak is a fun little synth. Not sure I'd recommend it as a first synth. It is actually more advanced than the price tag would imply. And, you might find yourself unnerved by the odd keybed. If you don't have a MIDI keyboard already, a Korg Monologue or a Novation MiniNova are good picks in that price range.

Analog smpte codes striped on tape … uggghhh - just had a flashback

Digital/random access is so much easier than linear tape

I was just talking to my dad tonight about forking over his Kurzweil K2000 and his K2600 rack. As dated as they are, I LOVE the sounds in them and with the K2000, I can feel like I’m Rick Wright. I’ve got a Korg Triton rack, the first one I believe. There’s one sound in it I LOVE; it’s the sound Derek Sherinian uses on the intro the “Lines In The Sand”, my favorite synth sound of all time. That dude had some pretty sick sounds.
I wanted a K2000 SO BAD back in the day (Mike Fisher of Machines of Loving Grace used one), but couldn't afford it as a teenager. Ended up snagging a GeneralMusic S2 Turbo because everyone else was using Korg O1WFDs; loved that thing (overdrive, distortion, and ping pong delay in the effects library!). Added an Akai S2800 and later, an S5000. Man, I got so much music done back then. Went from making a song from conception to final mix per night to now, spending all day trying to get the kick right. Those late 90s studios were something really special, especially once standalone hard disk recorders replaced ADATs.

Last edited:
Oooooooooooo! Whatcha think?! Read the review in SOS and it'll actually fit in my rack.

I think it's pretty awesome. Very wide soundscapes are possible. Best used with eurorack to control the filter and such. I wouldn't want to put it in a 19" rack if that's what you mean. All the CV I/O is in the back. Def ideal as a desktop synth.

Back