The Two New HIWATT Leeds 50 & 25R Spring Reverb Amp Heads

Dave Lewis

Groupie
Has anyone on hear heard or tried them yet ?
1727873349660.jpeg

1727873462723.jpeg

good for them for releasing new amps and I want HiWatt to thrive.

These look like seriously budget amps though, comparatively they make Blackstar or Laney look boutique. I don’t mind that for some brands but in my head HiWatt has always represented a really high premium quality and these look like the total opposite.

Hiwatt has Canadian owners now, or at least these amps are from that ownership group. They've had low cost solid state heads and a low wattage tube head for the past few years. I don't know what resemblance these newer amps have to the classic Hiwatt have other than cosmetics.

I thought about checking out the low wattage tube head, the Hi-5, but passed on it in the end.

Last edited:
Yet another example of a different company taking over the original company's logo, doing things completely different and then hoping the original logo will carry the day and/or fool consumers.

That's not a good sign... usually.

This is a real HIWATT, and the mil-spec circuitry and attention to detail that made them famous:

DR504_guts.jpg

Let's be honest. Nothing sounds like a dimed DR103 except a dimed DR103. Have not tried the Leeds models, but I dig my lil Hi-5, 420 edition.

eaiDyFol.jpg
What are the tones like? I saw some videos demonstrating it's clean tone which I thought sounded nice. I didn't really understand what the overdrive would be like. I was looking at them around the time they had that 420 edition.

What are the tones like? I saw some videos demonstrating it's clean tone which I thought sounded nice. I didn't really understand what the overdrive would be like. I was looking at them around the time they had that 420 edition.
Pretty straightforward 2 channel amp, it's only 5 watts so you're gonna have some limitations, but its a perfect bedroom amp. Cleans are passable, it's definitely EQ'd to cut through a mix - I've got the bass cranked and the treble back around 11:00. It's not Fender Deluxe bloom, but decent cleans nonetheless. The drive channel seems to be what they made it for. Even though it's little, I would classify it as a hi gain amp. I'm definitely not a hi gain guy, so I keep it rolled back to around 10:00 and get a nice stoner rock / dirty blues drive sound, and hit the front end with a boost pedal for solos.

Last edited:
Reactions: V|J
I’ve got both .
I had the 50 on pre order for a few weeks before it arrived a few weeks ago and grabbed the 25 last week .
Believe it or not both are really good heads. 👍🍺
View attachment 29858View attachment 29860
Dig the looks, of course - how do they sound, and how much volume is there on tap?
I love nice solid state amps, but the good ones usually come from the second half of the 1970's.

Dig the looks, of course - how do they sound, and how much volume is there on tap?
I love nice solid state amps, but the good ones usually come from the second half of the 1970's.
I gave the Leeds 25 Reverb a play through during a brake in the cricket earlier through a 2 X 12” Celestion vintage 30 cabinet .
It’s plenty LOUD enough to annoy the neighbours down the road if I wanted to.😳
Sounds good at low and high volumes.👍
It sounds great on cleans and dirty and the reverb is excellent.
I put a couple of pedals straight in and they sounded really good.
This is a lot of Head for £129.00🤘

Back