The RAT Thread

SubApathy

Groupie
Three weeks ago, I was bit by a RAT2 from '88 (yes, I have the box) and I have a feeling that this isn't over.

Who else currently rocks a RAT? (or derivative)

20230303_210713.jpg

RAT's have their place! I use one occasionally and like them in combo with other drives, like a TS9.

Never owned a Rat, so I decided to pick up a JHS Pack Rat to see which one I liked best and maybe go down that variant's rabbit role, but nah, I'm good with this...
I think Josh seems super cool. But I am not drawn to his pedals at all. That one JHS Vanilla Delay pedal must have scarred me :unsure:

Is it a good pedal? I like having a ton of variants in one box.
I cant speak to the authenticity, but yeah, some killer tones in that box. Way more gain than I need, probably a killer metal pedal. The weird thing is that the knobs can be swapped from mode to mode. So like in one variant, treble up is full clockwise, whereas another, thats full bass. So it forces you to knob tweak and find the most out of each mode.

As you would expect, I can dial in all 9 variants to sound identical.... :facepalm

Never owned a Rat, so I decided to pick up a JHS Pack Rat to see which one I liked best and maybe go down that variant's rabbit role, but nah, I'm good with this...
I was very close to pulling the trigger on one of these end of last year. But I ended getting the Vox Valvenergy pedals. @ 99 each couldn't resist. Finished getting the whole set a week ago, and glad I did. Awesome pedals.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on one of these end of last year. But I ended getting the Vox Valvenergy pedals. @ 99 each couldn't resist. Finished getting the whole set a week ago, and glad I did. Awesome pedals.
My interest was super piqued on those Vox pedals as well :love I've heard nothing but great things from people who know good pedals.

My interest was super piqued on those Vox pedals as well :love I've heard nothing but great things from people who know good pedals.
Each one is unique in a good way, so it's hard for me to say which is my favorite. I'd recommend any of them.

A friend dropped off an OG ProCo RAT a few months ago, and I was going to make a bunch of QC captures with it. But after chasing down all the control variations, I realized I couldn't really tell the pedal apart from the QC's own model. :idk

JksyOLb.jpg

Back