The Psychology Of Our Discontent

la szum

Goatlord
Inevitably, we all become discontented at some point. Buddha said so. :LOL:

The issue is that we are not always very astute at determining what it--the source of
our discontent--actually is. In fact, I'd argue that we are seldom aware of what it actually
is that we are truly discontented about, and end up changing---and rearranging!---things
that have ZERO to do with the source of our discontent.

It's the kick the dog phenomenon. Get upset about something, and then kick the poor dog
who had nothing to do with making us upset and bothered.

Please don't kick any dogs, ok?!! :beer

Examples:

We are discontented with our work or job, so we buy things to feel better.

We are discontented with our repetitive riffs and licks, so we buy an amp or guitar
to give us better riffs and licks.

It's Monday and Mondays suck, so we exact our discontent on social media. :LOL:

Not sure what my point is here. Maybe it is that if we are not aware of our
discontent triggers, then we end up rearranging the furniture in the hopes it gives
us a new home to live in. And yes, sometimes rearranging the furniture is fun,
and sometimes a new guitar gives us new licks. And sometimes we just spin
our wheels madly and violently in place, thinking we are actually getting some place,
because we are doing something, right? Meanwhile, the source of our discontent is
not entirely aware to us. Yet. :idk

My discontent comes from wanting to play more music, more often and play songs that I have written with other people. Problem is; there are no other people in my area that are in my circle with the same stylistic interests. Not surprising; if I am being honest with myself.

giphy.gif

Muhahaha. I might have done something I pretty much said I wouldn't just yesterday. Not discontent based, but funny to put here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get the bored purchases thing. I just did it again last week with a pedal. I was staying away from it because I had the feeling it wasn't going to be ground breaking for me. I even knew it was a bored purchase before I bought it. I could feel that I only wanted it to check it out. Well, the deal I needed to push me over the edge showed up and I bought it. I plugged it in and guess what, it isn't ground breaking. It is a little different than I thought and not necessarily in a good way. I think I am safe now. I am going to try to start pushing myself in the recording direction when I am getting bored.

I'd argue that we are seldom aware of what it actually
is that we are truly discontented about, and end up changing---and rearranging!---things
that have ZERO to do with the source of our discontent.

In my experience, people often know exactly why they're unhappy, but they feel like doing anything about it is this completely insurmountable task - so they focus on other (unrelated) things in order to achieve short-term happiness.

Someone once said 'Drink of the water of this world and you will continue to thirst',............... jus saying! :guiness
I practice thankfulness every day. But I still need a new Headfirst alta amp!!

Being honest to yourself is pretty hard. Also being honest to yourself doesn't mean being honest about yourself publicly which I would say is easier because of compassion and empathy, so kinda like dishonestly being honest. Being honest to yourself is done in a cold and lonely place.

Being honest to yourself is pretty hard. Also being honest to yourself doesn't mean being honest about yourself publicly which I would say is easier because of compassion and empathy, so kinda like dishonestly being honest. Being honest to yourself is done in a cold and lonely place.
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Getting in good terms with your real you is similar to the 5 stages of grief ( disbelief, anger etc ). In the process you lose someone very close to you, the self-invented you, but you find a new person in the you that you actually are.

Getting in good terms with your real you is similar to the 5 stages of grief ( disbelief, anger etc ). In the process you lose someone very close to you, the self-invented you, but you find a new person in the you that you actually are.
For me, when I feel discontentment creeping in I find it helps to look outside myself and seek comfort and direction through spiritual means. I have a lot to be thankful for, and blessed to be able to share it with people I love. But there's always room for improvement in how I treat myself and others, and that's something I strive and continue to work towards.

Back