The ones that got away

T Gobbs

Groupie
TGF Recording Artist
Let’s all take a moment to mourn the ones that got away.

Had to let my Lipstick Red, first year rg560 go a few months back, and just now it’s starting to sting a bit. Even had 777 in the serial number for good luck. Recessed trems hurt my hands these days, but I loved that guitar so much I stopped palm muting for her.

Attachments

• 8B5E95DC-4806-49D2-935A-2EB433266032.jpeg
    8B5E95DC-4806-49D2-935A-2EB433266032.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
A very nice PRS Custom 22 "Blem" when I had health issues, and I was broke. But for the crazy-low price I let a friend get it for, I should've asked a family member for a loan, and let then hold the guitar until I could pay them back. That part was really stupid, and I don't know why I didn't think of it!
1110121430.jpg

We talk about guitars we had or guitars we could buy and did not?

First one: Not a guitar, but a EVH 5150 III 50W 6L6. Why did I sell that back 10 years ago? I can't even remember. Same for the JVM205 I had. WHY???

Latter one: I was in a guitar store in 2015 and there was an used Epi LP Custom Zakk Wylde Bullseye. 300€. Played it. Sounded awesome. Left without the guitar. Went back a few weeks later. It was gone. Still mourn that one. Now they sell used for 700€ minimum.

We talk about guitars we had or guitars we could buy and did not?

First one: Not a guitar, but a EVH 5150 III 50W 6L6. Why did I sell that back 10 years ago? I can't even remember. Same for the JVM205 I had. WHY???

Latter one: I was in a guitar store in 2015 and there was an used Epi LP Custom Zakk Wylde Bullseye. 300€. Played it. Sounded awesome. Left without the guitar. Went back a few weeks later. It was gone. Still mourn that one. Now they sell used for 700€ minimum.
There are a bazillion 5150iii amps in the world. That should be an easy recovery.

For me it was a simple Danelectro U2 from the late 90's with the aluminum nut and rosewood saddle insert. This guitar had serious mojo and tone, I really loved that thing. One of those instruments you pick up and songs just start writing themselves. But, I had a moment of fogginess and was needing a bass, so I traded it to my brother for an Ibanez bass he had gotten from someone. The bass served its purpose and I told my brother not to sell the Danelectro without telling me first. Well... he didn't tell me and traded it along with some other gear for drum parts. I still rag his as$ to this day:rofl, and kick myself for letting it go. Sure, the same guitar model can be bought used but some guitars just have it.

There are a bazillion 5150iii amps in the world. That should be an easy recovery.
But there is one wife that (rationally and correctly) tells me there are enough amps in my Helix-thingy.

I told her, that there is no 5153 in it... has anyone ever requested that from Line 6? Someone should!

Edit: And before someone gets that notion: I love my wife and I love her for being rational and telling me to shut up about GASing about the next best shit, that in the end I play the 5 same riffs through it. She also knows a lot about amps and guitars, so she definetly gets it when I need to buy something new. She just hates (or thanks to Helix HATED) my constant amp flipping.

Last edited:
But there is one wife that (rationally and correctly) tells me there are enough amps in my Helix-thingy.

I told her, that there is no 5153 in it... has anyone ever requested that from Line 6? Someone should!

Edit: And before someone gets that notion: I love my wife and I love her for being rational and telling me to shut up about GASing about the next best s**t, that in the end I play the 5 same riffs through it. She also knows a lot about amps and guitars, so she definetly gets it when I need to buy something new. She just hates (or thanks to Helix HATED) my constant amp flipping.
My wife has no clue (and no interest really) in what gear does what. The only thing she reacts to is guitars and colors. "Oooo, I like that turquoise guitar!"

Not too many ragrets on my end, but the biggest one for me is trying to refinish my first nice guitar.

I bought a '93 Gibson Les Paul Studio in 1998 for $600 and had to trade in a bunch of stuff and saved up a lot of money to do that (I was 15 at the time). It was one of the old Studio models with an ebony board and gold hadware, and that board was awesome (dark black with MOP inlays). I had a really excellent luthier do a fret job and new nut and it was perfect up and down the board. Also put in a set of Seymour Duncan pickups, new tuners and hardware, etc.

But I never loved the color (really dark wine red) and it had a lot of damage over the years, so I tried to refinish it. Got the lacquer removed and that looked fine, but the headstock veneer/paint was damaged. Tried to stain it and messed it up twice, then tried to spray it and messed that up twice as well. Got frustrated and sold everything off for parts.

Wish I would have just kept the dang thing as is, put in a set of PAF's, and enjoyed it. Now I've got a Les Paul Tribute which is pretty similar except for a nicer satin goldtop finish, and a rosewood board. But I do wish I had that old guitar I spent so many years playing.

recto front.jpeg

My old 97/98 Rev G Dual Rectifier. Bought it new in 11th grade after obsessively saving weekend job money for 6 months. Pretty sure I had memorized the user manual before I even brought that amp home.

Gigged it hard for years and years, had to sell it to cover a rough post college transition period where I had to come up with first, last, and security deposit AND buy a car to commute to my new big boy job 40 mins outside Boston. That one hurt, and still stings. Felt like losing a friend I loved that amp so much.

I have tons of amps now, but have held off replacing this one.

IMG_0126.jpeg

This one is a happier story with a better ending. I sold this old Burny RLG-90 to go chase a Gibson a few years back. Was disappointed by the Gibsons in comparison - at least until I hit their custom shop. At that point I had already moved across the country. It’s gone. Lesson learned.

Fast forward a couple years and I rediscover the buyers info when I’m cleaning out old contacts. I realize my wife is heading there for business…
759c6455-55fd-40cb-b07d-a3c9dcb6a9bb_text.gif

My wife is a good sport and agrees to meet the guy to buy the guitar back. Super added bonus, he won’t take more than he paid - even though the guitar has doubled in value post Covid.

It’s back here now and not going anywhere.

66032862772__5591CFED-80C2-4B97-B52F-D0DB30039BAE.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a white Jackson soloist that was basically perfect but I sold it 30years ago. It’s the one guitar that I really want back but in the condition it was in. I have had a few similar but none as good.

We should do a thread of vintage guitars I didn’t buy.
I’ll start;
An original 54strat £1500 in 84.
A 57 gold top stock £4000 in 95 .
They are the worst ones but there were many.

View attachment 8525

My old 97/98 Rev G Dual Rectifier. Bought it new in 11th grade after obsessively saving weekend job money for 6 months. Pretty sure I had memorized the user manual before I even brought that amp home.

Gigged it hard for years and years, had to sell it to cover a rough post college transition period where I had to come up with first, last, and security deposit AND buy a car to commute to my new big boy job 40 mins outside Boston. That one hurt, and still stings. Felt like losing a friend I loved that amp so much.

I have tons of amps now, but have held off replacing this one.

View attachment 8526

This one is a happier story with a better ending. I sold this old Burny RLG-90 to go chase a Gibson a few years back. Was disappointed by the Gibsons in comparison - at least until I hit their custom shop. At that mount u had already moved across the country. It’s gone. Lesson learned.

Fast forward a couple years and I rediscover the buyers info when I’m cleaning out old contacts. I realize my wife is heading there for business…
759c6455-55fd-40cb-b07d-a3c9dcb6a9bb_text.gif

My wife is a good sport and agrees to meet the guy to buy the guitar back. Super added bonus, he won’t take more than he paid - even though the guitar has doubled in value post Covid.

It’s back here now and not going anywhere.

View attachment 8527

Seattle Sounders Love GIF by Major League Soccer

Back