The Kemper thing that never gets talked about

Cross fade.
I react to the dramatic difference in "tonal spectrum" when switching from one amp to another. I often experience it as "wow, where did all the bass go?"

For me- I just prefer variations of a theme within an individual song. More gain, less gain, maybe some garnish.

Plenty of people like it the other way- smack you in the face with a completely different sound.

I use 4 different profiles in my Stage. In performance mode, I have 2 settings per footswitch that vary the gain level. Each press of the switch is instant and not jarring at all for me. It took me a little time to set all my performances up so they were seamless with no volume differences, but it is so worth it in the end. I think every modeler/profiler requires some effort to achieve this. I could never get my HX FX to be seamless between patches, but I also didn't invest as much time into it. That's on me, not the device. Remember the old POD 2.0? Every time I switched presets with that, there was always a gap and, sometimes, jarring volume differences. Things have come a long way with guitar processing and I, for one, am very grateful. My Stage is perfect for me, but I also recognize the fact that it may not be the same for others.

I react to the dramatic difference in "tonal spectrum" when switching from one amp to another. I often experience it as "wow, where did all the bass go?"

For me- I just prefer variations of a theme within an individual song. More gain, less gain, maybe some garnish.

Plenty of people like it the other way- smack you in the face with a completely different sound.
For me the jar is due to drastic eq change, usually associated with the cabinet.

I use 4 different profiles in my Stage. In performance mode, I have 2 settings per footswitch that vary the gain level. Each press of the switch is instant and not jarring at all for me. It took me a little time to set all my performances up so they were seamless with no volume differences, but it is so worth it in the end. I think every modeler/profiler requires some effort to achieve this. I could never get my HX FX to be seamless between patches, but I also didn't invest as much time into it. That's on me, not the device. Remember the old POD 2.0? Every time I switched presets with that, there was always a gap and, sometimes, jarring volume differences. Things have come a long way with guitar processing and I, for one, am very grateful. My Stage is perfect for me, but I also recognize the fact that it may not be the same for others.
its not a volume thing or a switching gap for me- it isn't jarring like that. It's jarring in that the sound spectrum or however you want to say it between one amp and a totally different amp is often so radically different that it jumps out in a negative way.

In some contexts, maybe one might be going for that.

its not a volume thing or a switching gap for me- it isn't jarring like that. It's jarring in that the sound spectrum or however you want to say it between one amp and a totally different amp is often so radically different that it jumps out in a negative way.

That’s why I choose to use ones that don’t jump out in a negative way :rollsafe

The problem isn’t changing amps, it’s using/choosing tones that don’t work well together

That’s why I choose to use ones that don’t jump out in a negative way :rollsafe

The problem isn’t changing amps, it’s using/choosing tones that don’t work well together
yeah, for sure. That's what I'm talking about.

Obviously if I'm going from a Friedman BE100 to a Friedman BE100 and the volumes are level then it won't be jarring.

The bulk of my Stage tones are profiles of the same amp, a Mesa Electra Dyne. At the end of my main performance bank, there is a JP2C profile, so there is little to no highly radical change in tone, just gradual (somewhat) changes in gain. On other performance banks, I have a 1964 Super Reverb and JCM800. But I never go from one to the other, generally it's an either/or.
This was the main incentive for me to get a Kemper. The Dyne is one heavy and very loud amp. With the Kemper, I save both my back and my ears but still get the tone of MY amp. I also don't often chase the tone in specific songs. Key word there is "often." Of all the amps I own, the Dyne remains my favorite and it is my tone. But for a couple songs, I do want a different flavor.
Each one of my performance banks starts with an acoustic that can morph into a 12 string acoustic. Now, switching between that and any amp profile would definitely produce a jarring effect, but I literally never do that in a song.

a totally different amp is often so radically different that it jumps out in a negative way.
I always think of Eric Johnson in that situation. His sparkly clean sound is so different to his Marshall lead or fuzz sounds, and he switches between them a ton. It used to throw me off when I first started listening to him, but I eventually knew to expect that kind of tonal whiplash on his tunes. :LOL:

Back