The Kemper thing that never gets talked about

metropolis_4

Shredder
Instant amp changes. Instant preset changes.

I'm assuming it's because the files are so small (aren't they like 6KB?) so it's easy to quickly load them?

This was such a huge game changer for me when I first tried Kemper. Sure on Helix or Fractal you can change amp parameters, toggle between a couple amp blocks, and (on Fractal) toggle channels. But none of that is anywhere near as flexible as being able to instantly/seamlessly switch between any number of amps.

Would someone please put that in a small MIDI controlled pedal?

Amp switches mid song seem abrupt, out of place, and totally wonky to me---even more so than
channel switching on the same amp. Instant or not.

To 'me' the Kemper is King from the day it was released.

I've profiled and gotten good usable results and it's now served me flawlessly for 10yrs.

I love its form factor because I can reach over & change things on the fly like a real amp live.

What's not to like if you're looking for a digital amp and not something that will walk your dog, surf the net, drive you to work, give you the lottery numbers, pick the winning horse, shut your nagging missus up OR fly you to the moon.

And, I do use different amps for different patches so when changing it's important to me that it's FAST and the KPA is without a dropout or a delay.
You couldn't have it any other way for live playing.

Last edited:
how many amps do you really need tho? i use one for cleans and one for dirty, snapshots on the helix are instant.

Amp switches mid song seem abrupt, out of place, and totally wonky to me---even more so than
channel switching on the same amp. Instant or not.

It depends on how you do it. And which amps you use.

Also consider that with modelers different channels of the same amp are typically different "models" so you can't change channels the way you could on the real amp without either setting up channels in Fractal, or multiple amp blocks in Helix.

With Kemper you can do that seamlessly

how many amps do you really need tho? i use one for cleans and one for dirty, snapshots on the helix are instant.

I like using lots of different amps. When I was using a Kemper I used even more because the instant changes opened up possibilities to use more than I'd been able to before.

Scenes ?
On Helix, Fractal, QC :idk

Scenes are great, but with a Kemper you could theoretically set up instant seamless switching between 1,000 different amps if you wanted. And with Performance mode you've got the ability to load 5 different amps for each Performance x 125 performances and seamless switching between all of them.

That's much more than is possible with 8 Scenes

Scenes are great, but with a Kemper you could theoretically set up instant seamless switching between 1,000 different amps if you wanted. And with Performance mode you've got the ability to load 5 different amps for each Performance x 125 performances and seamless switching between all of them.

That's much more than is possible with 8 Scenes
How many fotswitch`s have you got ? haha
You talk 1000 and x125 :idk:LOL:

Instant amp changes. Instant preset changes.

I'm assuming it's because the files are so small (aren't they like 6KB?) so it's easy to quickly load them?

This was such a huge game changer for me when I first tried Kemper. Sure on Helix or Fractal you can change amp parameters, toggle between a couple amp blocks, and (on Fractal) toggle channels. But none of that is anywhere near as flexible as being able to instantly/seamlessly switch between any number of amps.

Would someone please put that in a small MIDI controlled pedal?
I think the fixed routing of four stomps/stack/four effects is why they're able to do it.

How many fotswitch`s have you got ? haha
You talk 1000 and x125 :idk:LOL:

With MIDI, as many as I want. It's not a bad place to be in to be limited not by the software, but by the number of footswitches you can come up with.

On a single Performance you can set up 5 amps and morph between two different settings for each, so 10 unique amp sounds in one "preset", plus you can switch to any other slot in any other Performance instantly with no gaps.

It appeals to me because I have this idea for my ultimate guitar rig that would involve having a set number of amp/dirt settings in one device and then all of my effects in either pedals or a second device, then I could use MIDI to create whatever combinations of sounds I want.

With MIDI, as many as I want. It's not a bad place to be in to be limited not by the software, but by the number of footswitches you can come up with.

On a single Performance you can set up 5 amps and morph between two different settings for each, so 10 unique amp sounds in one "preset", plus you can switch to any other slot in any other Performance instantly with no gaps.

It appeals to me because I have this idea for my ultimate guitar rig that would involve having a set number of amp/dirt settings in one device and then all of my effects in either pedals or a second device, then I could use MIDI to create whatever combinations of sounds I want.

Just me `changing presets` ;)
Excited George Costanza GIF

Have to add :) .... the GT1000 allows for totally instant / completely seamless and totally gap free full-preset to full preset changes ... if you want .... Dual Amps + Dual Cab Blocks + 20 EFX Blocks from preset to preset and its completely seamless and totally gap free :)

Ben

I have my Kemper set up to have two clean amps a black face fender deluxe and a very early 60s ac15 2x12.

I have two rhythm channels set up. A 1969 Marshall Super Trem 100 watt and a Marshall JCM 800. Both set up so I can boost them if I so choose.

I have two lead amps set up. One is a capture of my Soldano SLO 100. The second is a Mesa JP2C with EQ engaged. Both of those can be boosted at will also.

Back