The Correct Way To Play The Verse In "Walk This Way" By Aerosmith

LeftyLoungeLizard

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
It's more difficult than you'd think.

Lightly muted... and ya gotta have that swang...

Walk This Way verse.jpg

4 10
5 10 10 12 10 10 10 13 10 12 10
6 8 8 8 8

(BTW, this dude's channel is most excellent)

In this other vid of real Aerosmith, after a bit, you can see Joe doing verse at the 8th fret:

ISO'd original guitars:

Last edited:
And if you want the easiest prove: The high C note is played all the way straight on beat 3 in both bars of the pattern. It's only played once per bar, so it's very easy to spot. Tap quarter notes along and you will notice that it always falls on a tap. In the video of Mr. Tabs the high C note is falling on beat "3 e" (the 16th note behind beat 3). Which is just wrong.

Ok, small correction: The high C note isn't always played on the beat (in the section I looped it however is). On "occasion" (no regular pattern) it is in fact played on beat "3 e" in the second bar of the pattern.

Uhm... looks as if I stand corrected.
Seriously, I have no idea what's going on here - because when listening to the full song, I still hear the high C note on beat 3 most of the time. But very obviously, in case the isolated guitar is legit (which it seems to be), I'm just wrong. Really, no idea why that is - usually, I'm sort of doing well with all things listening/transcribing.
Anyhow, my sincere apologies!

Uhm... looks as if I stand corrected.
Seriously, I have no idea what's going on here - because when listening to the full song, I still hear the high C note on beat 3 most of the time. But very obviously, in case the isolated guitar is legit (which it seems to be), I'm just wrong. Really, no idea why that is - usually, I'm sort of doing well with all things listening/transcribing.
Anyhow, my sincere apologies!

No big deal - it is a very difficult part (I'm still trying to get it up to speed) and thought I'd make note (pun intended) of that there. I mean, this is Aerosmith we're talking about here; awesome band, but not known in the least for difficult guitar parts. Surprisingly difficult!

This is really confusing. Maybe I've been too tired, but even today, after a night of sleep, I can still hear it *both* ways in the full tune, even if I'm now fully aware that the high C is always on beat "3 e". I can even play along either way and both ways feel correct. So weird, really.

Back