The Best Pultec EQP-1-Style EQ

LeftyLoungeLizard

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
Bettermaker EQ232D

Product-Hero-Banners-1920x420.jpg

This is a DAW plugin based on a hardware unit (Bettermaker EQ232D MKII - no longer made).

Why is this the best Pultec-EQP-1 style EQ?

Because:

1) Selectable filters; can toggle on/off filter sections
2) Hi Pass section (normally you'd need the separate and rare Pultec HLF-3C to Hi/Lo pass)
3) Two "extra" EQs to work with, along with Q adjust ("EQ1, EQ2") and no set frequencies like the original Pultec EQP-1; you can adjust each filter's freq range in practically "1" increments - this is the biggest advantage
4) 2 channels to work with

They call it the "Pultec of the 21st century" and they are 100% correct.

I've got the "Mega XXL" subscription to Plugin Alliance, and one thing it offers is that you are allowed to keep 10 plugins; this EQ will be one of them.

I have this in my plugin alliance bundle but never cared for it. GUI seems better suited for HW than plugin, the original Pultec look translates quite well to plugins and this loses basically everything that makes that OG layout work. My favourite “enhanced” pultec is this:

Really well thought out extras while still staying true to what a Pultec is and should be.

I also love Massive Passive’s which are a little bit different but still derived from a Pultec. IMO UAD’s one is best but I do like the one by NI/Softube and the Pulsar one is OK too.

Back