TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 1 Thread

Super cool idea and thread. I look forward to listening to all these.

I don't have a DAW or any recording skills, but I recently bought a Macbook Pro and have an FM9, so maybe I can contribute something in the future.

Great work in initiating and organizing all this, @DrewJD82 . :beer
Episode 8 Nbc GIF by Law & Order

I’m majorly playing catch up after spending some quality time with the wife on vacation this week. I don’t have time to post comments on everyone’s tracks right now, but I did page through the last 10 pages listening to the new submissions…

HOLY CARP - we have some great talent on this forum. You guys were all really impressive - I loved hearing all the different styles and playing and tones. Everything from melodic and moody to aggressive and thrashy!

I’m going to have to miss the next couple (few?) because I’m traveling 4 weeks straight for work, but will be listening and cheering everyone on. Keep up the great work!

You guys are all freaking awesome. Great stuff from everybody, loved the variety and effort everybody put in. What struck me most was that none of the submissions sounded generic. Everybody had cool ideas that took things to places i didn't necessarily expect. When I come up with a riff or whatever I'm excited about it at first but after a while I'll end up thinking it just sounds bland. Nothing sounded bland here, so great job all.

When things get a bit more organized on my side I'll try to jump in too.

When I come up with a riff or whatever I'm excited about it at first but after a while I'll end up thinking it just sounds bland. Nothing sounded bland here, so great job all.

When things get a bit more organized on my side I'll try to jump in too.

I think this happens to everyone who writes. It happens to me all the time, in every song I ever write. If anything, this challenge does a great job at forcing you to ignore that voice telling you it’s bland just because of the time limit. In the grand scheme of things, how many metal songs in the 80’s and 90’s were just chugging on the low E string, ya know? But maybe recording it, after you hear it a few times a countermelody pops in your head, or a vocal melody that’s stuck in your head, or a drum groove to go under it that makes you headbang and now that bland riff isn’t nearly as bland!

I think that’s why I love Cantrell so much, sometimes that dude is just droning on one note, bending it back and forth and it still ends up being cool as f*ck, regardless of how simple or how many times it’s been featured in other songs over the years. The verse riff in ”Man In The Box” is as bland and basic as it gets, then the chorus is just 4 chords, but all the surrounding stuff makes it badass!

Honestly man there’s always the bi-weekly challenge and then you’re still on track. That’s my goal. I don’t think life will allow me to keep up weekly but I can make bi-weekly work. Plus, it’s tumbleweeds over there. In my head I won’t be directly compared to these excellent submissions. It’ll be like I’m on the B team which suits me fine.
I was trying to decide whether I wanted to be late for the weekly challenge, or on time for the bi-weekly challenge, and now I'm late for the bi-weekly challenge.

facepalm-really.gif

It was probably a bad sign that I'm having trouble just keeping up with reading all these threads. o_O (OMG the thread titles are indistinguishable.)

Lol 😆

See… The thing here is… There is no failure… As long as you submit something.

May The Fourth Be With You Do It GIF by Star Wars

I’m gonna be a couple weeks behind this month as I reconfigure the studio but then I’m jumping right back in early February brother!
So far I've "invented" two power chords in a row. (Four if you count the inversions I buried under the bass line LOL.) I guess that beats the 20 seconds of sine wave I considered posting, to break the ice. :D

So far I've "invented" two power chords in a row. (Four if you count the inversions I buried under the bass line LOL.) I guess that beats the 20 seconds of sine wave I considered posting, to break the ice. :D

I feel this. I spend more time in struggle-fest than I do actually accomplishing anything. It is an exercise in
psychological self-mutilation. Some suggest we will be better for it in the end. I am not so sure. :idk

I feel this. I spend more time in struggle-fest than I do actually accomplishing anything. It is an exercise in
psychological self-mutilation. Some suggest we will be better for it in the end. I am not so sure. :idk
Years... decades... obsessed with music-making, and almost never making any music. Ugh.

:beer

Dude Neutron is awesome. I thought the mix would be barely fit for human consumption until I started running Neutron to mix the individual parts, and all I did was let the AI assistant do it. Definitely getting this once the trial ends.

Ozone, I have mixed feelings. I actually think “mastering” it took something away from the mix, but by the point I used it my computer was about to melt from the sheer amount of plugins I had running. (Poor routing) Seems highly thought of, so I’m sure that’s just user error.

Both can run on Windows, or at least I’m pretty sure I saw an option to download for PC.

I just relistened to your piece Whizz. Such a great job 👏… I’m jealous

You guitar tones are excellent. You’ve got me watching neutron 4 on YouTube right now.

Although in my heart of hearts, I know it’s not the plug-in. 😉

Back