TGF Do Something Challenge Week 7!!

Not extremely happy with this. My plan was to make a funny video but my phone no longer wants to transfer files to my computer so you'll just have to use your imagination.

Picture it: Evil Alex on the left with an 8 string, and a*****e Alex on the right with a 6 string, trading lead/rhythm duties in a face-off, making idiot faces at each other.

Killer

martial arts fight GIF by Shaw Brothers

TGF Week 7 Fretworn&Gearzilla Collaboration

Production notes:

I noticed that @TJontheRoad had mentioned adding some keyboards to @Whizzinby ’s clip. That reminded me of early on there had been mentioned somewhere the possibly of doing a collaboration clip at some point.

So…

Near the end of last week I asked Fretworn if he was open to doing a collaboration for this week’s challenge.

One of the first things we encountered was that we were using different plugins which made it difficult to just load things up to adjust. So we ended up just sharing audio tracks.

The clip was pretty much what people would typically consider to be in the sketch board phase. Fretworn sent me over a backing track he had been assembling. I initially played some sustained and legatto style lead over it to assess how sharing tracks online would go. Fretworn then added some chords. Then he sent me a fresh track with the backing portion and added chords without the lead portion. I listened to it for a few minutes, and played over it in a different style to see how that would be compared to the first go round.

We both got side tracked with other things to do, and the end of the challenge week had approached. So we took a portion of the rough with the second lead I had sent, and bounced it down without any mastering to the clip.

One interesting challenge on collaborating online is there’s a certain amount of latency to sharing feedback on how to possibly take things when feeling out a part.

Overall it was fun to hear the different aspect someone brings to these things, and I hope to have a chance to hear a few collaborations from some of the other people participating in the weekly clips in the future.

Last edited:
I'm always up for collaboration. Best way is to use stems with the effects printed. Then do final mix later.

Back