Taking a look at a “twin amp” this afternoon

AFKAEjay

Roadie
I’m itching for a fender amp…for no good reason. I’m all “efficient in weight en logistics” for my usual rigs.
This is heavy, big…super impractical….but I can’t help myself.

It’s a blackface, 100w 2 (3ish) channel amp…production around 2000?

It might end up in a venue I play regularly..so I only have to carry it once ;) atm I have an egnater rebel stationed there.

Any experience with these?

Are you able to play it in person first? (nvm, i just read the title more thoroughly:grin)
I can only speak from my experience owning a '71 Twin Reverb.
Bold cleans is what you will get as I'm sure you're aware. I'd imagine the "Twin Amp" has similar DNA but honestly can't remember if I ever tried one. You could always just get an old Twin Reverb?

Are you able to play it in person first? (nvm, i just read the title more thoroughly:grin)
I can only speak from my experience owning a '71 Twin Reverb.
Bold cleans is what you will get as I'm sure you're aware. I'd imagine the "Twin Amp" has similar DNA but honestly can't remember if I ever tried one. You could always just get an old Twin Reverb?
To me twin reverbs have been way to scooped… and too clean. This one has a mv..and a “clean with a boost “ channel. I’ll know more in 30 min ;)

To me twin reverbs have been way to scooped… and too clean. This one has a mv..and a “clean with a boost “ channel. I’ll know more in 30 min ;)
Definitely scooped, but speaker change can help. I actually like the sound of V30s with mine. Never would have thought.

Good luck, hope it works out!

I remember these and the Super from the late ‘90s. They were similar to the ‘65 Reissue series but a little different. Almost like some of the Rivera era amps.

It’s been too long since I played one to say much else, I can’t remember much about how they sound other than I think I remember the gain when boosting to be a bit on the grainy side

it didn’t come home with me cause we couldn’t agree on the price.
Nice amp though, with the mids cranked and the rest on zero I could get it where I like it. No mv on this one…but it has a loop with send and return control…so jumper cable in there…and you get to push the clean preamp without your ears bleading.

Very good drive channel actually…on the dumbly side of the spectrum with the mids cranked..I liked it!

it didn’t come home with me cause we couldn’t agree on the price.
Nice amp though, with the mids cranked and the rest on zero I could get it where I like it. No mv on this one…but it has a loop with send and return control…so jumper cable in there…and you get to push the clean preamp without your ears bleading.

Very good drive channel actually…on the dumbly side of the spectrum with the mids cranked..I liked it!
I love mine, even though it's seen the tech bench 4 times already.

Very complicated circuit, completely crammed inside, multiple PCB's, and known for being prone to various failures.

When it works, it sounds great. Blackface cleans, oldschool Mesa drive channel.

Also, it's HEAVY. Not for the faint of heart when it comes to lifting.

PS: this is the earlier, non-tremolo version, also known as "1994 Twin Amp"

I've always wondered about these.....I have lots of experience with the Twin Reverb but have never even seen a Twin Amp in person

Never see them mentioned online either

I love mine, even though it's seen the tech bench 4 times already.

Very complicated circuit, completely crammed inside, multiple PCB's, and known for being prone to various failures.

When it works, it sounds great. Blackface cleans, oldschool Mesa drive channel.

Also, it's HEAVY. Not for the faint of heart when it comes to lifting.

PS: this is the earlier, non-tremolo version, also known as "1994 Twin Amp"
This was the later version, but yours (I thought the 96 version) seems more attractive cause of the mv on the clean channel, and the extra gain option.

Back