Sunny Day Real Estate

Jarick

Shredder
Just announced another leg of their tour where they're coming through town (Minneapolis). Snagged a pair of tickets (for under $100 with fees!). Excited to see them again (last time was 2000/2001).

IMO probably the quintessential emo band. Heavier a lot of the "midwest" twinkly emo. Not pop punk in the least.

My buddy is a huge fan of these guys, this is the band the bassist for Foo Fighters is in, isn’t it? I can never remember that dudes name.

My buddy is a huge fan of these guys, this is the band the bassist for Foo Fighters is in, isn’t it? I can never remember that dudes name.

Originally, yes. Sunny Day Real Estate was a Seattle band signed to Sub Pop in the early 90's but they had nothing to do with grunge. They made two albums (Diary and LP2) then broke up in early 1995. I believe Dave Grohl saw their last show and asked the bassist (Nate Mendel) and drummer (Will Goldsmith) to join his new band along with Pat Smear. Those were the initial four members of Foo Fighters who toured for the first album.

Will left the band while they were recording the second album (The Color and the Shape) because Dave was not happy with his drumming and was re-recording all the parts himself. Then Nate nearly left the band as Sunny Day Real Estate were getting back together, but he stuck around (haha). Dave recruited Taylor Hawkins from Alanis Morissette's band and the rest is history.

SDRE put out two more albums in the late 90's (How It Feels to Be Something On and The Rising Tide) then broke up again. They had a brief reunion around 2009, went on hiatus, and then came back last year to do some more touring.

Cool they are still at it. They used to be pretty big in a circle I ran with when I was young. Very influential within indie circles.

Back