Strymon Deco Plugin

FuzzyAce

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Just realized this exists now. I'm probably going to get it as the hardware version is getting expensive, and honestly the plugin would serve me better these days.
I see so many uses for this, it really covers a lot of ground.

Anybody else curious or already have it?

Leon’s take:

Leon's faces while trying it out are great. :D

I have the Deco V2 and it's a cool pedal, I'm still not sure if it's a keeper or not because it seems like it might work best when used as a do-it-all thing in a much simpler rig, but I do like it. It's one of those "when you turn it off you want to just turn it back on" pedals that adds some subtle character or is a flexible set of fx in itself.

For the plugin, the visuals look a bit crap honestly. There's inconsistent lighting on the graphics. The knobs could use shadows, the spinning reel looks pretty amateurish. It's alright and works fine as a UI, but I think the BigSky plugin looked a bit better.

Leon’s take:

Thanks, didn't realize he'd demoed it too.
From what I've watched on it, I like it better on other instruments than on a distorted guitar (although the flanging is cool for that).
On the fence with it because it does overlap with some plugins I already have -- especially the Fiedler Audio Stage which is awesome and offers more tweaking and functions really. I do like the simple approach of the Deco though.

or the plugin, the visuals look a bit crap honestly. There's inconsistent lighting on the graphics. The knobs could use shadows, the spinning reel looks pretty amateurish. It's alright and works fine as a UI, but I think the BigSky plugin looked a bit better.
Yeah, I think the visuals were Leon’s critique as well. The spinning reel is tacky. I don’t think I’d want to be looking at that in a professional setting. Waste of resources IMO.

Leon's faces while trying it out are great. :D

I have the Deco V2 and it's a cool pedal, I'm still not sure if it's a keeper or not because it seems like it might work best when used as a do-it-all thing in a much simpler rig, but I do like it. It's one of those "when you turn it off you want to just turn it back on" pedals that adds some subtle character or is a flexible set of fx in itself.

For the plugin, the visuals look a bit crap honestly. There's inconsistent lighting on the graphics. The knobs could use shadows, the spinning reel looks pretty amateurish. It's alright and works fine as a UI, but I think the BigSky plugin looked a bit better.
Yeah, the spinning reel isn't necessary at all, and the UI is tolerable but I could have designed a better looking one.:grin

Yeah, the spinning reel isn't necessary at all, and the UI is tolerable but I could have designed a better looking one.:grin
I think the reel would be neat as an indicator if it actually reacted to how you dial in the plugin. Hell, there could be two decks on screen to showcase this. But as it is, it's a superfluous element that didn't really need to be there.

Back