String Gauge

I like the slinky feel of 9's and the crisp low end they give on humbucker guitars. But I like the tuning stability and solid feel of 10's especially when tuning down.

So currently I'm running:

Ibanez AZ in E: 9-42
Gibson LP in E: 9.5-44
Fender Tele in E: 9.5-44
Fender Strat in Eb: 9.5-44
PRS CE-24 in Eb: 9.5-44
PRS S2 24 in D: 10-46

Absolutely.

I uesd to be a 10's only snob... now I'm older and wiser.. and tone is in the fingers...

I bought a set of these for shiggles and still have them on a guitar.. they're quite stupid.. but loads of fun.

RWN0738-768x768.jpg

I think that’s exactly what I should do, set up one guitar that is self only used with something crazy light and just mess with it from time to time.

I put the 8s on the LP and messed with them for a bit and then put 12s on to do the same comparison on the other side of the spectrum. Flipping hated the 12s. Should put some 8s (or maybe even 7s?) back on it and just leave them there. I rarely play that guitar anyway, would give me a reason to pick it up more often.

D

How the guitar stays in tune at this point?
Just by resting your right hand lightly on the strings the tuning goes completely out of whack.
I call bullshit on that Iommi sting set.

I think a lot of those guys have a far lighter touch than most people realize. They also play loud.

What I find is that the louder I’m monitoring my guitar relative to the rest of the band, the lighter my touch and the greater my dynamic range.

I’ve heard Tim Pierce and others say that there’s a lot of magic in setting the amp where it’s raging and then just barely touching the strings. That’s been my experience as well, although I personally can only lighten my touch so much on a live gig. A lot more finesse is afforded when I’m not playing live.

This is all anecdotal, it’s entirely possible that all these guys are just BSing everyone. I used to think they were, but I’ve come around to see it as a real possibility that they’re telling the truth even though I couldn’t wrap my head around it for years lol.

D

9-46 for me on fender scale length. anything shorter like a gibson scale length is 10-46. for something really short scale like a mustang, an 11-49(?) set.

I've been a 10s user for since the late 80 but recently put 9s on a few rock guitars .
First prompted by building this;
IMG_2800.jpeg

I wasn't sure I would like them but for high gain they sound better IMO. the balance between the frequencies seems more natural sounding. Also the dynamic range of legato playing, tapping and regular picking seems easier to balance. BUT my picking hand hates how loose they are. I would love a 9's feel fo my left hand and 10s for my right. I have put 9's on an Aristides 060 and a Genesis RG to give it a proper go.

Back