Speaking of Subs..

Subs are the best.

I've had a krk 10s for nearly 20 years now. I had to replace the plate amp 5 years in (thank you full compass) but it's been pretty awesome.

I HIGHLY recommend putting a bypass footswitch on your sub if it has that option. The krk has one and it bypasses the sub AND the crossover, pretty slick. I click mine off a lot when other people are sitting on the couch against the back wall because all the bass frequencies build up there. I have the sweet spot tuned at my desk chair, naturally.

The cheaper Genelec units are excellent. I paid £400 used for a 7050C.

If you can find something with an adjustable phase control (more than just polarity flip) and adjustable cut off, you’ll have much more luck fitting it into your system nicely.

A measurement mic goes a long way too, you can set a decent level and make sure you are improving things rather than making them worse. A Behringer measurement mic is £35 and you can even sell it after. It’ll more than pay itself off in time saved and headaches when trying to get it dialled in
I love my sub (KRK S10 I think) but in my untreated cave, there is no making anything better. The sub only made things worse. A lot worse. To the point I only mix on headphones now (Slate VSX). But it sure sounds good for writing and tracking non mic’d instruments. So getting a sub is fun and all, but dont mix with it unless you REALLY know what you’re doing with dialing it in, folks. You’ll spend 15 mixes trying to get the low end right.

I love my sub (KRK S10 I think) but in my untreated cave, there is no making anything better. The sub only made things worse. A lot worse. To the point I only mix on headphones now (Slate VSX). But it sure sounds good for writing and tracking non mic’d instruments. So getting a sub is fun and all, but dont mix with it unless you REALLY know what you’re doing with dialing it in, folks. You’ll spend 15 mixes trying to get the low end right.
I agree, but the same advice applies to studio monitors in general. I didn't spend any more or less effort positioning the subwoofer than I did my other speakers - a lot of trial and error and measuring them all (as well as learning and getting used to things).

I agree, but the same advice applies to studio monitors in general. I didn't spend any more or less effort positioning the subwoofer than I did my other speakers - a lot of trial and error and measuring them all (as well as learning and getting used to things).
No doubt. I went from no sub and having a spitballs chance to getting the bass right to adding a sub and no chance in hell. Just yet another opportunity to Wh*re out my opinion of the must have VSX cans in any space not professionally treated.

Have you tried to get it away from the wall and more centered in the room? (If possible)

It goes a long way.. mine is even with the front of the desk so there's a least a foot of space behind, it's also sitting on 1.25" of dense foam sandwiched between 2 slabs of mdf to keep it from translating to the floor.

The boss pedal is the bypass switch
31GQq81.jpeg

Have you tried to get it away from the wall and more centered in the room? (If possible)

It goes a long way.. mine is even with the front of the desk so there's a least a foot of space behind, it's also sitting on 1.25" of dense foam sandwiched between 2 slabs of mdf to keep it from translating to the floor.

The boss pedal is the bypass switch
View attachment 17630
Mine isnt in the middle of the room but it is solidly away from the walls. A bypass switch might be helpful for perspective. I’m moving in 5 months so in my next life this will be thought out better. A LOT better.

A producer/musician neighbor came over the other day and asked if I had considered getting a sub for my Focal Trio 6be's, which are impressively flat down to 35Hz. I said no and he played a couple of reference tracks on Spotify where certain bass notes would just disappear. DAMMIT. Stupid neighbor might cost me $3k.

A producer/musician neighbor came over the other day and asked if I had considered getting a sub for my Focal Trio 6be's, which are impressively flat down to 35Hz. I said no and he played a couple of reference tracks on Spotify where certain bass notes would just disappear. DAMMIT. Stupid neighbor might cost me $3k.
Steve Urkel Oops GIF

For me, its as much as it is about addressing SBIR issues in the room as it is "improving" the monitors. 100% believer in a carefully positioned and dialled in sub, you won't regret it. The Focal ones are excellent, if you have space I'd recommend a pair of subs over one.

My neighbor enjoys music
My neighbour is a 70 year old lady with hearing aids, who complained quite a lot about my valve amps until I put some DIY rockwool absorber panels across my rear window to stop the sound drifting into her living room! :rofl

In the last house and the flat before that, I could make as much noise as I wanted and nobody cared!! But bloody Doris next door.... she NEEDS to be able to watch her dancing programs!

I had Hafler trm8's before my focals and didn't really think I'd use the sub much when I made the switch.

I was very wrong.

Back