Speakers with clarity similar to EVM 12L Classic?

UncleJesse

I recently got my first EVM 12L Classic speaker and it was like a revelation. I only use 1x12 cabs these days and instantly it sounded better than any of the dozens of other speakers I've been through. It also makes all those other speakers sound like they have a blanket over them. I currently have two other 1x12 cabs, one with an alnico cream and the other with a Jensen Neo 12/100. Are there any other speakers out there similar to the EV as far as clarity without losing low end? Tried the Weber Californias and they didn't seem to have the low end I like. Would it be worth it to track down an old JBL, or try an older EVM12L or EV SRO or have I just reached the pinnacle?

Would it be worth it to track down an old JBL, or try an older EVM12L or EV SRO or have I just reached the pinnacle?

Absolutely!

If you liked the EVM 12L Classic you'll love the EV SRO/12L. It has a smoother top end and is my very favorite speaker for playing at concert volume.

I like them so much I bought every one that came up for sale on eBay for 18 months and now have 12 of them. Couldn't be happier with them for live performance. The alnico version is also well worth considering, particularly for Blues or Blues/Rock.

32594798968_2fc9f26775_b.jpg

EVM12S is a good one too, probably my favorite. EV Force is another. I have them both.

I have an Eminence HempDog that is basically their EM12 with a hemp cone. It's a stout speaker. I've never played the standard version, but the hemp one is clean and clear, smoother/darker than a EVM12L. The standard EM12 is still being made fwiw.

I tried an Eminence EM12 and didn't care for it. Although it was brand new so that could have been the issue.

Celestion Redbacks maybe? I haven’t A/B’d them but to my ear they kinda have that EV thing.
Not really, I know what you mean.
RB’s are too chewy for that vibe.
EV’s & the likes are much bolder & blunt.
Actually killa’ for mixing with other speakers.adding Mastadon sized fangs to your trusty 4X12💯
The Eminence one, that mimics the EV,
was not too shabby.
Took a faithful fifty hours to shake of the edges.
One thing I picked up on breaking in speakers is to play big dissonant chords and let them ring all the way out.
Then go right at it…
- Sad But True , A New Level,
Orion, Conmunication Breakdown, Mean Streets,
Negative Creep ,Damn That River, etc
BACK to those pulsating monster dissonant chords dredging all the way out in artifacts…,
the sound of simmering oatmeal in patience…👀

The Eminence copy-V was heavy as all get out.
Like.. that shit would piss off a mason who runs block from sun up to sun down💪
LMFAO.. I don’t know where I come up with these labywrinths of lunacy…

Cheers regardless🤘🏻

Last edited:
Back