Source Audio Collider: anyone else got one (weirdness check)?

Snags

Groupie
I'm trying to work out whether my Collider is fritzing, or has just been a little under-powered at times.

It's on a small board powered by a Cioks DC5 and until the other day was on a single 300ma output because the SA docs say it's "about 300ma". Most of the time it works fine. But sometimes it seems to do one or more of the following:
  • eat the signal entirely
  • not apply any effect
  • glitch and instead of e.g. applying a delay act more like a kill switch on a timer
  • flash the preset indicator light when no parameters have been changed
I ran it off the board on a dedicated 1.5a PSU for a few weeks and it behaved completely, so I invested the huge sum of £5 in a current doubler cable for the Cioks and now have it running off both 300ma outputs, and have re-cabled the power to the other pedals so none of them are light on juice.

I've only had chance to test it briefly, and it seemed to be happy, but then on the single 300ma it seemed to be happy about 80% of the time and would then randomly shit the bed and need to be pulled out of the chain for a bit, before being put back in, whereupon it would behave.

One thing I have noticed is that it's still flashing the preset light (slow blink) once powered on until I explicitly move it on to another preset. Which I don't remember it doing previously, but of course I've only started paying attention once it started messing me about.

I never had any issues with it when it was on a board powered by some GigRig stuff (now re-purposed).

So ... is the blinking preset light normal behaviour? Has anyone else had one do this? What ma are you shoving up yours? I've read the docs and hit up Google and can't find anything directly relevant, and currently (no pun) have trust issues.

Haven't noticed anything like that but I've always run it with either its own power supply or from a CIOKS DC7 which gives 660 mA per outlet.

The preset light will blink if you adjust settings and they are different from saved.

Atm I'm powering a Cioks 4 Expander with a USB powerbank and that is powering a Strymon Iridium, SA Collider and Nemesis no problem.

The preset light will blink if you adjust settings and they are different from saved.

Atm I'm powering a Cioks 4 Expander with a USB powerbank and that is powering a Strymon Iridium, SA Collider and Nemesis no problem.

Yes, I'm familiar with that behaviour. I just can't remember whether it has always blinked (blunk?) on power-up. I've always assumed it just goes straight to preset 1, so should be solid, but of course it might not, it might start up with whatever the knobs are pointing at.

I'm going to keep play-testing it as much as possible to get my confidence back in it. It's got 600ma going up its chuff now, so that should be enough if it was just hovering on the edge of adequate power before.

Back