some days I wonder why I just don't go direct

If I started gigging again, I would 100% run a digital modeler (first choice would be an FM9) with something like a Boss Katana 100 for stage sound. Best of both worlds. Still really easy to setup and the amp volume would be independent of the tone.

I don’t think I’d trust every venue’s PA/soundman to completely ditch a cab. Some of the PA’s down here are whatever some dude was able to throw together because he thinks he’d be good for hosting karaoke at his favorite dive bar.

I was debating it last week until I went and saw the band I’m joining and heard the other guitarist pretty well cranked up onstage, the imbalance coming off the stage was enough for me to not want to even bother.

I have definitely gotten screwed before just bringing my Helix and ending up with a total crap wedge to hear it through.

A live show, really at almost every level; should be an event. If you want to sit around and talk in a quiet spot; go to a coffee shop. If a band is playing; expect there to be, well; sound ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get what you are saying, BUT, for example there is a local, pretty clean, country band that plays pretty regularly at a local restaurant and my wife likes going to see them. When they set up outside, they sound how they should and pretty good. Not my favorite, but the wifey likes it, has a few drinks, and well, you know... Problem is when they play inside.

They are always wanting to put on an "event", so they are out of balance, way too loud for inside the restaurant with concrete walls, sound bouncing all over the place, 2 PA speakers directed at two groups of tables getting blown out and everyone else getting the bounce, etc. Think dueling fiddle and lead guitar on devil went down to GA and that gets you into the ballpark.

I agree it should be an event, but sometimes bands need to either play to the event with what they have or get equipment that will make the event enjoyable for everyone, not just the musicians.

I get what you are saying, BUT, for example there is a local, pretty clean, country band that plays pretty regularly at a local restaurant and my wife likes going to see them. When they set up outside, they sound how they should and pretty good. Not my favorite, but the wifey likes it, has a few drinks, and well, you know... Problem is when they play inside.

They are always wanting to put on an "event", so they are out of balance, way too loud for inside the restaurant with concrete walls, sound bouncing all over the place, 2 PA speakers directed at two groups of tables getting blown out and everyone else getting the bounce, etc. Think dueling fiddle and lead guitar on devil went down to GA and that gets you into the ballpark.

I agree it should be an event, but sometimes bands need to either play to the event with what they have or get equipment that will make the event enjoyable for everyone, not just the musicians.
Agree completely. The venue owner should be able to direct the band/artist as well. Without being a dick about it. I see this at weddings too. A band is often times too much for an event where people want to chat and have a good time over slightly more than just audible music.

Sometimes us musicians are our own worst enemy :rofl

Yeah it totally depends on the gig.

It always seemed like the best paying gigs were the lowest volume. I remember we played a wedding where I was literally tapping the drums as light as I could and they were still asking me to turn down, so I think at some point I just stopped playing and we did guitars only.

The smaller gigs, that's where dynamics is really important, and you can't treat the classy bar gigs and weddings like you do a 500 cap rock club. That's where it's easy for guitars, bring a modeler to run direct that scales at any volume, and then bring a monitor or amp for stage/side fill. And if it's a tiny place you aren't running guitars through the board, you just point the amp out at the crowd.

Agree completely. The venue owner should be able to direct the band/artist as well. Without being a dick about it. I see this at weddings too. A band is often times too much for an event where people want to chat and have a good time over slightly more than just audible music.

LOL, the venue owner doesn't care as long as everyone is buying drinks:guiness

LOL, the venue owner doesn't care as long as everyone is buying drinks:guiness

When we were getting $400 a night in the early 2000's, we were "yes sir, no sir" all the time, lol. Owner knew we would pack the bar and sell a ton of booze, but he didn't want the cops called as we were on a busy street.

Which reminds me, did anyone else get the cops called at their gigs? We had that happen to us a couple times. One time they shut down the show, but it was an all ages event without booze. I could only imagine what a bunch of punk kids who were liquored up would do if the cops shut down their show!

They are always wanting to put on an "event", so they are out of balance, way too loud for inside

Thats why I use a DB meter. We are the same way. We perform, we dont just slog through 40 songs. The sweet spot seems to be around 94-95db inside. If things heat up as they usually do I creep the volume up a little as we go.

When we were getting $400 a night in the early 2000's, we were "yes sir, no sir" all the time, lol. Owner knew we would pack the bar and sell a ton of booze, but he didn't want the cops called as we were on a busy street.

Which reminds me, did anyone else get the cops called at their gigs? We had that happen to us a couple times. One time they shut down the show, but it was an all ages event without booze. I could only imagine what a bunch of punk kids who were liquored up would do if the cops shut down their show!

Yeah we had it once. Our gig coincided with a Stag do (bachelor party) so the bar was extra rowdy. The best bit was the insanely drunk groom thinking the rather attractive female police officer was a stripper and then getting slapped back into place when he groped her ass. His buddies pointed out the other cop who arrived with her and the groom thought it was her ride who also dressed up to make it seem more authentic :facepalm:cop:chef

Still a gigging highlight to this day.

Yup. Know the room.

My issues were always with the timidity that comes when you have too play quiet. The entire band feels like
they are walking on eggshells. Tone and perfromance suffer. Drummer slows down. :LOL:

We gravitated towards brief acoustic/unplugged style 1st sets because of this. Sometimes 3 or 4 acoustic songs
to start early in the night, and sometimes an entire set performed acoustic style (but still through the PA).

It was always crazy to me that to start the night we couldn't be quiet enough, and then by the last set 12:30 to
1:30 AM we couldn't be hewavy or loud enough, and they wouldn't want us to stop.

The power of alcohol. :love

A live show, really at almost every level; should be an event. If you want to sit around and talk in a quiet spot; go to a coffee shop. If a band is playing; expect there to be, well; sound ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Interesting side effect of civilized volumes: , there’s a club in my town I won’t play cause the crowd is too loud ;)
Im not the only one…Frank mc comb played there (!!!!!)…and quit half set cause of it. Worldclass player/singer..crazy good..worldwide hitrecord on his resume…and the crowed prefers to discuss the weekend…grrr

With the ability to run direct from the amp via the amp itself or a loadbox, I haven't hauled a 412 in years. I play many gigs in a year and a solid closed back 1x12 does the job for me for monitoring if I want that amp tone.

Well so we played on Thurs and Fri. Both nights I still brought my amp and cab but also sent a signal from my helix. Both sound guys said it was great tone each night blending them.

I think imma keep bringing the 4x12 lol. It has our logo on it and if it's a security blanket I guess I'm OK with that for now at least. You really can't beat a 4x12 moving air. Plus my friends actually helped load it so they got in for free lololol.

Yeah we had it once. Our gig coincided with a Stag do (bachelor party) so the bar was extra rowdy. The best bit was the insanely drunk groom thinking the rather attractive female police officer was a stripper and then getting slapped back into place when he groped her ass. His buddies pointed out the other cop who arrived with her and the groom thought it was her ride who also dressed up to make it seem more authentic :facepalm:cop:chef

Still a gigging highlight to this day.
HAHA that's awesome. I did a DJ gig once where I was trying to get paid at the end while the groom and best man were fist fighting in the parking lot.

I think imma keep bringing the 4x12 lol. It has our logo on it and if it's a security blanket I guess I'm OK with that for now at least. You really can't beat a 4x12 moving air. Plus my friends actually helped load it so they got in for free lololol.
"I'm with the band . . ."

like for real, some days I really wonder why I'm hauling around this 4x12 and amp and my helix lololol. it sounds great, don't get me wrong, and that is ultimately the point when you play a few shows per month for fun and for the love of music. however we keep playing these shows where the guitar players in the other bands have either the same LT that I have or the pod go and they go direct and it sounds pretty dang good to me so it honestly has got me thinking. its super loud cave man riffs though so the moving of the air through 4 speakers is a good thing but maybe I can get past that possibly mental crutch and realize its ultimately how you are playing.

i'm lucky that our singer actually helps out a lot getting setup and torn down but it is still very tempting. i've messed around with just my direct signal at rehearsals. i don't think we have nearly as good of a PA or monitors as the places were playing but it still sounds pretty good in a band mix.

we have a show tomorrow night, i think i am going to bring everything but ask to run an XLR into the board to try it alone first before turning my amp off standby.

can anyone please either talk me down off the ledge or push me off it?? its not that I necessarily mind hauling the amp and cab but its like... damn do I really need to be?

For the last 7 years or so I have been in a perpetual battle between going direct only, using just an amp and analog pedals miced, and going direct+ to the return of an amp with a cab. I really, really, really need to just go direct and call it a day but my tube head and 2x12 of V30's sound so good for stage monitoring it's hard to. Now that I am working with another guitar player and he is using a POD GO direct, it makes even more sense for me to use just the Helix LT direct.

Back